Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

i have a 416B cat and the will not push dirt to the side,as…

i have a 416B cat...
i have a 416B cat and the hoe will not push dirt to the side,as in filling a trench or hole that was dug.I t swings ok with or without a load while raised but at grade it seems to struggle at best or not perform. thanks
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/20/2013
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 9 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician
Welcome to JustAnswer. I am online most nights and weekends a few hours.(US-Eastern)Please do not rate my answer until you are completely satisfied.

You could have a loose piston bolt in a cylinder, a stuck cushion valve in a cylinder, a leaking relief valve on the control valve or more common, blown resolvers seals for the resolver network.
A quick test to help determine if resolvers can be your problem is to load another circuit to a stall and see if the pressure (power) returns. Place the swing against a load and then pull the loader tilt lever to the stops and hold in it a stall. If swing power rises, the problem is a blown resolver.
Try this test and let me know how you want to proceed with further testing or repairs. Please include your machine's full serial number.

I hope to test tomorrow # XXXXX XXXXX thanks.

Ok, thanks for the update. That is the serial number for the engine, I think your machine serial number will be 8SG08022, if this is the original engine. I just need it to verify the parts break. This model had a serial number change for mid-production and some items were updated.
Let me know tomorrow what you find and I will be glad to help.

Please remember, I cannot reply during the day. I am out working on machines and have little to no access to the internet.
I will respond as soon I can when I return home.

I'm back with test results.And it appears that it is a resolver problem.We recently repaired a resolver issue for the front bucket/loader.Can these problems be related?Anyway how do we proceed with the repair?And yes the machine serial# XXXXX XXXXX took it from the ID plate and assume that the engine has not been changed.

The problem is the same but, the issue is not related. No one will rebuild both valves unless instructed to do so. Each valve has an individual pair of resolvers. The primary is in the bottom of the valve and separates the load signal for each side of the cylinder on that valve. The secondary, separates the load signal on each valve. The are simple check balls that send a signal pressure to the pump for upstroke command. Age and heat will destroy the seals and cause them to leak of this pressure and make the signal to the pump weak. It is a common repair and three circuits can be done in a couple of hours. The whole valve would take all day.

I would replace the resolver seals for the swing valve and the valve on each side of the swing valve. The primary resolver is located under the spool cap and the secondary resolver is in the back side of the valve (front side for the machine, opposite of the lines).

This can be done with the valve in the frame but, it will leak some oil. Be careful on the secondary resolver, the check ball in loose and will fall out. I keep a magnet nearby to help catch the ball or retrieve it from the housing.

signal resolver network

resolver operationgraphicresolver operationresolver operation

a-resolvers

It will look like the valve above (this is an older valve, parts have changed)
See items 21 thru 28
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

I am still trying to get time to move to the next step.Will complete rating after we are completed. thanks for the patience

Automatic reminders are sent out on a schedule that I do not control. I am happy to wait but, the question can time out. Please keep me posted on your progress.

I must reply to every post you send, I am locked out of answering new questions until I have replied to everyone else.

No need to reply to this post.