Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a V90F that will not go forward or reverse. I have…

I have a V90F...
I have a V90F that will not go forward or reverse. I have checked all pressures on the valve body and they are good. What is next torque converter?
10/16/2013
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 9 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Curtis B. :

How did problem develop?

Curtis B. :

Was unit working and just quit?

Curtis B. :

Does unit have inching brake ? It does, do you have the two brake pedals? The left pedal will have inching valve on it, it kicks the transmission into neutral. If it sticks open, you loose forward and reverse.

Curtis B. :

Check the inching valve in the transmission shift cover. It can be activated by a brake line to a slave cylinder, or with a solenoid valve.

JACUSTOMER-cdz76omf- :

I will remove and inspect the inching valve tomorrow

Curtis B. :

OK, not likely the torques convertor! If you have good pressures, more likely inching control problem. Let em know, thank you.

JACUSTOMER-cdz76omf- :

OK cool thank you

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

I checked the inching valve looks good and free. Still no movement. Going to change fluid and filter tomorrow. The fluid level was a little below the add line. I said earlier that all the pressures are good . But they come up kind of slow. Don't know if that matters

Inching valve was free , moved in and sprang back? If drive wheels are off the ground, will they turn in opposites if one is turned manually? They should. If not, differential or axle problem.??

Yes valve was free. Yes the wheels turn opposite

How did problem develop?

I don't know exactly it was purchased at an auction. The guy said he drove it in the shop to work on it , when he tried to drive it out it would not move.

Pressures were good, so oil level is not going to change it. What was he doing to it when he was working on it?

That I do not know.

One thing than I noticed when I kill the motor and it comes to a complete stop something in the transmission continues to spin for several seconds making kind of a vibrating sound

That is odd! The torque converter does have rotating inner parts, and if inner parts are damaged, the inner parts could keep turning when engine is turned off. But you would think that there would be metal showing in the oil.

I drained the oil and there was some metal on the strainer but not excessive, very little. Judging buy the filter and oil I think it has been change since the problem

With rotating noise after shutdown, the torque converter is a real possibility. Not something that would be normal failure. But with good clutch pressures, and inching valve and differential checking good, not much else external to look at!

OK I'll replace the torque converter and see what happens thank you very much!

Take it out and shake it around. Let me know what you find. I would like to know what is broken! Thanks.

OK no problem.

Thanks again!
Thanks, I have to answer as it shows I need to contact customer!

It was the torque converter! The splines for the small shaft are stripped out.

Good job! Thanks for the reply!