Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Hey, I have a EX 200 LC-5 Hitachi excavator. The hydraulics…

Hey, I have a EX 200...
Hey,
I have a EX 200 LC-5 Hitachi excavator. The hydraulics seem to work fine in every function except when you lower the boom, it drops to fast. What parts could be involved with this and where are they located ?
10/14/2013
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 8 years ago
Dan, Technician
Hi my name isXXXXX will try to help. Check your relief valve cartridges in the boom circuit for damaged o rings or debris causing it to stick open. Try swapping the reliefs to see if the problem moves with them. If the reliefs check out ok then check your main control valve spool for broken springs etc under the eng caps. Also a faulty regeneration valve if equipped could cause this. Copy and paste this link in your browser for information on regeneration valves. http://www.sunhydraulics.com/PDF%20Files/INT%20Line%20Mount/int_assm_regen.pdf Reply back with your machine serial number if you need further help and I will help any way I can.
Hi Milton, I wanted to follow up with you to see if you still needed help or if you are satisfied with the information I have provided so far. Let me know and reply back if you still need help and ill do what I can to help.

Hey Dan,

Have not had much time to check out all your suggestions. I did remove boom relief valve, checked out OK.

I removed another valve beside relief valve and did find deteriorated

o-rings. Hitachi tech suggested I change hydraulic oil and replace

o-rings before going any further. What do you think?

I would not suggest changing the hydraulic oil as of yet unless you find metal in the in tank return filter which would be the result of a pump or component problem. The oil will have nothing to do with your boom problem and changing it will not correct anything unless your hydraulic system needs to be flushed. I worked for John Deere/Hitatchi dealer as well. You would be spending unnecessary money on oil and still have a problem. I recommend inspecting/cleaning the valves and replacing any bad o rings found. I would check and verify your pressures to troubleshoot this as well to see what you have for pressures and tru swapping reliefs with another circuit that is functioning properly to see if the problem moves.
Dan, Technician