Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a 2003 New Holland 180 and it stopped moving while traveling…

I have a 2003 New...
I have a 2003 New Holland 180 and it stopped moving while traveling with a load. No bad noises just stopped. Lift still works but it shuts down after about 30 seconds. Neither side will budge, forward or backwards and we replaced the pressure sensor twice just to be positive. Is there any other simple remedies or checks that I can do before tearing into pumps. Can they lose prime?
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/11/2013
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 8 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Curtis B. :

Are you getting the low pressure code before engine shutdown. F1 or something like that? The pumps have to be charged by the charge pump. The charge pump is the small pump mounted on the backside of the right hand drive pump. It may have failed or may not be pumping. I would check the output from the pump. Loosen line that feeds into the drive pumps and see if it is moving fluid. No movement, be sure the filter is not plugged, then remove the pump as see why it is not working. The drive pumps common part is the charge pump, so it it fails, nothing from either drive pump.

Curtis B. :

The hydraulics work for short time, so the drive on the flywheel should be good.

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

right answer but a little late. got the same answer right away from another source and pretty much had it pulled down by the time I got your answer. Thanks and it was the right answer

Thanks for the reply! Glad to know I was on the right track.