Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Hi, i have a 2002 jcb teletruk with a 4 cylinder perkins engine…

Hi, i have a 2002...
Hi, i have a 2002 jcb teletruk with a 4 cylinder perkins engine no 966837J, i purchased the truck recently knowing it had intermitent starting problem. Some times the truck starts quite easily, usually when it hasn't been used for a while, or sometimes it has to turn over quite alot and the engine gradually builds speed until it kicks in and runs. It will runs for about 15 mins then it will cut out, will take abit to get started again, suspected fuel problem, possible air in system. Have just changed fuel filter, bottom filter plate had a lot of crud in it. Have put it back together, now it will not start, have primed the pump on filter, fuel is getting to the lift pump. ( between fuel filter and lift pump is what i think is an inline one way valve, if i disconnect the hose at the lift pump end coming from fuel filter after i have tried starting,it seems that this bit of hose is under pressure because the diesel spurts out when i pull the hose of the lift pump, can the lift pump, pressurise the hose going back to the fuel filter, but is stopped by what i suspect is a one way valve. The lift pump has arrows on it to show flow direction, it is plumbed the correct way. I have slackened of a union on an injector and air does come out when cranking over, cannot seem to get this to clear, have tried it on a couple of injectors, engine almost starts but not quite. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks Steve
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/10/2013
Mechanic: spankyjr1, Journeyman replied 9 years ago
spankyjr1
spankyjr1, Journeyman

Hi Steven and Welcome Thank You for your question

Sorry about delay

You are on the right track I think it's air in system from transfer pump or something on suction side of fuel system.

First that check valve you are talking about does it have wires on it?

The transfer pump has a internal check valve to keep fuel from returning to tank that may be what is bad causing the pressure in suction side.

This is what I want you to do,take and fill a 5 gallon bucket full of clean diesel fuel,run a line from transfer pump inlet directly into bucket of fuel,loosen at least 2 fuel lines going to head, the more the better,crank engine over until air is out of lines, then tighten lines and see if it will start.

That check valve your talking about should not be the problem otherwise you would not get any fuel out lines at head.

If it runs then you have a leak on suction side like a bad line or fuel filter head,if it does not run the transfer pump is bad and needs replacing.

You can get it to start faster if after priming and while cranking give it a couple short burst of ether directly into air cleaner canister and see if it will stay running, if not replace transfer pump.

Put battery on charger so it does not burn out starter and only crank for 20 seconds at a time.

Let me know what's going on if you still have questions I would be happy to help out.
Thanks
spanky

when you say transfer pump, do you mean the mechanical lift pump on the side of the engine

Yes Steven.

Sometimes their's more then one name for the same thing just like this,transfer pump and lift pump are the same thing.

It's actual name is XXXXX XXXXX but a lot of people even techs call them lift pumps because they have a lever that lifts to pump fuel.

Talk later
spanky

ok, thanks, the one way valve(check valve) doesn't have wires to it, it looks similar to an inline filter in shape but it is made of aluminium, i was going to take it off and check but by the time i had finished typing first message and then waited for a while for reply, it got dark, and started raining here and the truck outside. What i didn't realise, was i would have to wait so long for a reply, when i typed the question and before i paid, the layout of the site infered there was someone there ready and waiting who was available and had knowledge of this type of machine and able to answer my question.

Your suggestion on the container of fuel was my next plan of action, but going straight onto injection pump and by passing the lift pump, if this had worked, injection side ok and would have known it was sucking in air on the low pressure side somewhere, then work backwards, checking pump and fuel line connections. Forgot to mention lift pump looks as though it has had a new gasket fitted recently, so maybe this is the culprit. Thanks Steve

I'm sorry about delay in answering Steven I'm usually on line from about 6am-6pm but I went out for a while today had some errands to do.
It's been a little slow lately and not worth sitting in front of blank screen.

If you need something right away I will do my best to get back to you, here is my direct link.

http://www.justanswer.com/car/expert-spanky/

I don't work for the web site. Experts are considered users of the site just like you.
We are like independent contractors they get us questions and share some of the question value.

Please don't forget that when rating I have no control over what they say or do.
The rating you give at the end is how we get compensated for our time and if you don't rate we don't get anything web site keeps it all.

I understand your frustrasion it says something like questions are aswered in seconds, meaning in every catagory and their are hundreds of different types of questions and hundreds if not thousands of experts who are on here part time making some extra doe.

They have all kinds of rules about what we can and can't say to so if you have a question about something I will do my best to answer.

Now back to your issue.

The problem with bypassing going straight to pump is the injection pump does not suck, so you would have to use a pressurized container of fuel and not many people have the ability to do that and it does not check the transfer pump.
You could also have a plugged line going from pump to pump but I don't think so because your getting some fuel to injectors and that hose is on pressure side so it should leak.
Hoses that suck air don't usually leak and the only way to check them is with vacuum not pressure,something to keep in mind if it's not transfer pump.

If you have any problems or other questions just let me know.
Im happy to help out any way I can.
Talk later
spanky
spankyjr1
spankyjr1, Journeyman

Ok thanks didn't realise that about the pump, i am not a mechanic just mechanicaly minded and can usually work things out with a bit of help. Didn't want to have to call out forklift engineer and have to spend hundreds of pounds on a truck that is one that we just have on the farm more for ease and convenience than for business use. Will try this tomorrow morning. Hope things pick up for you

You sound like a good guy who knows what he's doing, we all need info when working on something we have never done before.

Diesels are actually easier then gas once you understand how they work,you can eliminate all the spark stuff involved with a gas engine and it fires off of heat from compresion which is why you need the injection pump to change it from 40-60psi to about 2500psi on your system.

These newer engines have injection pressures over 30 thousand psi to atomize fuel for complete burn of fuel for emissions.
If you notice going down the road trucks don't smoke like they use to, all that black un burned fuel is cleaned up with the higher pressures.

JA is changing over to Pearl.com and only allowing certain experts to answer questions so customers get more qualified info.

During this process they are not advertising as much until they get all the kinks out.

I think you will do fine fixing this yourself I worked on forlifts until 2008 and labor rate back then for road tech to come out was around $125 us = 78.26pounds.

It adds up fast when it takes them a hour just to get to you.

Like I said before if you have any questions just let me know I'm happy to help.

Talk later
spanky

Yes thats the killer being charged about £100 an hour travelling to and from the job.

You know that hurts, so anything you can do for yourself the better off your wallet feels.

Let me know how she runs when your done.

Talk tomorrow
spanky