Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Hi DanI have a 1992 Bobcat 753. Everything was working

Hi Dan I have a 1992...
Hi Dan

I have a 1992 Bobcat 753. Everything was working fine a couple of days ago, until I got an HP-1 warning to shut it down. Now I also get HP-2 warning when I turn the key on. My hydraulic filter looks OK; I changed it 1 year ago but I haven't put many hours on my machine since then(40?). I have experienced some loss in hydraulic oil, but the level looks OK now. I found the oil pressure sending unit, and was wondering if I should replace that first. Cost from my local dealer for this is $150. Before I order it and then find it it is not the problem, is there something else I should check?
10/2/2013
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 9 years ago
Dan, Technician
Hi, Thank you for requesting me. Cut a sample from your hydraulic filter and check for metal/debris. Use a filter cutting tool or equivalent to prevent metal shavings from contaminating your sample. If metal is found then you have a pump or component failure occurring. If clean then make sure your hydraulic pump drive is ok and in fact turning the pumps. If all that checks ok then check your system pressures to verify they are up to specs. If they are not then you have a mechanical problem and not electrical. If all pressures are ok, no metal found, pump drive is ok then check your harness for problems and go for the sending unit. Reply back with your results and if you need further help with this.

OK - I can check the hydraulic filter first.

How do I check the hydraulic pump drive?

Where do I check the system pressures?

And is there no easy way to test the sender?

Remove the small pilot pump at the end of the two main pumps. Crank the engine with the fuel disabled so it wont start and watch for the shaft to turn. If you can run the hydraulics and functions now then likely the drive is good as your pumps are turning. Look for metal in the filters first that would tell you if you have a pump problem. Also there should be some pressure taps to plug in a 5000 PSI gage. I do not have the actual specs on this model but here is a complete downloadable service book for under 10.00 that will walk you through the whole process and have all your specs and schematics. Copy and paste this link in your browser. http://www.tradebit.com/filedetail.php/221353469-bobcat-753-skid-steer-loader-service-repair
Dan, Technician