Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a PC 200-6 (2000-2002) track hoe. When I try to start…

I have a PC 200-6...
I have a PC 200-6 (2000-2002) track hoe. When I try to start the engine it reves up about half a second then shuts off. To use the machine I need to hook a bungie cord on a control lever with a push/pull tube on the right side of the engine then unhook it to shut down. It also operates at a slower rpm than it should at full throttle but occasionally will jump up to a higher rpm but stay there for a couple seconds.
9/16/2013
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 9 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi my name isXXXXX will try to help. With the ignition switch on test all your fuses with a 24v test light and check your relays. Try swapping relays with a known good one. Also, monitor your throttle movement at the engine with someone controlling the dial in the cab. Are there any error messages on the display? Let me know the results and please post your serial number and I will help you any way I can.

The track hoe is a pc200lc-6le #85031. I should have mentioned that the not shutting off and not starting problem is intermintent, works ok about 1 day out of 20 which makes it look like not a fuse problem. We will check out the relays.

Thanks for the update. Test the ignition switch( power in and out for worn contacts), relays, and your harness connections at your shutoff, batteries and starter.relay test sometimes its quicker just to swap relays around with a known good one than yo test them. Let me know

Hi Dan---sorry it has taken so long to get back to you, was away from home for a week. I may have given you some inaccurate information about my excavator problem (I was away from it for 2 year after getting banged-up a bit). The problem I mentioned about not shutting off was incorrect. The problem is that when I try to start the engine it reves up and imediately shuts down. I have to hook a bungie cord on a control lever on the side of the Cummings engine to keep it running, to shut down I turn off the key and then unhook the bungie cord and let the engine shut off then hook the bungie cord again for the next start. Could it be a fuel selenoid problem? Another clue is that it will run about 90 percent of high rpm at full throttle and go to 100 percent for 5 seconds then back to 90 percent. Any thoughts?

Hi Richard, thanks for the info. Check your throttle linkage travel at the pump with someone controlling the dial in the cab with key on. Make sure it has full travel in both directions and smooth. Also check the shutdown solenoid to be sure it is fully moving the linkage at the pump. You could have a shutdown solenoid acting up or the throttle actuator. Now with the throttle cutting back it sounds like there could be a problem in the auto decel circuit which your machine should throttle up when you use a function and then return to idle when at rest. If the throttle actuator/stepper motor and shutdown check out ok then you could have a bad speed sensor sending a wrong RPM signal to the ECU or a harness problem. Are you getting any error messages on the monitor panel? Let me know.
Dan, Technician