Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

WE HAVE AN 1988 EL200B 1988 CAT EXCAVATOR. SN 7DF00228 IT…

Customer Question
WE HAVE AN 1988 EL200B...
WE HAVE AN 1988 EL200B 1988 CAT EXCAVATOR. SN 7DF00228

IT HAS A 3116 CAT DIESEL SN 4TF00193

THE MACHINE WAS WORKING FINE AND ALL OF A SUDDEN THE FOLLOWING PROBLEM OCCURRED.

THE ENGINE RUNS FINE AT IDLE AND AT FULL THROTTLE.

THE MACHINE WILL TRAVEL STRAIGHT AHEAD.

HOWVER WHEN YOU APPLY A LOAD LIKE TURNING THE MACHINE OR LIFTING THE BUCKET THE ENGINE WAS STALL AT ALL POWER SETTINGS
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
8/20/2013
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 9 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

catmastertech :

Have you checked the fuel pressure?

catmastertech :

Have you check the return fuel line for air in the fuel?

catmastertech :

Either your fuel transfer pump is worn out and you have no pressure or you have a loose injector and combustion gases are entering the fuel system.

catmastertech :

Check fuel pressure on outlet side of filter were line goes to the back of the head.

catmastertech :

You should get about 40 psi.

catmastertech :

If that is correct, install a clear line on the return line (small tube from the front of the head) and look for air bubbles. Load the engine and if bubbles increase, you have a loose injector.

catmastertech :

Special tooling is require to set and adjust the injectors. It cost about $1000.

JACUSTOMER-8ar6hggc- :

TODAY WE CHECKED FUEL PRESSURE AND WE HAVE 50 POUNDS AT IDLE AND 90 LBS AT FULL THROTTLE WITHOUT LOAD.

JACUSTOMER-8ar6hggc- :

WE ALSO CHECKED FUEL RETURN LINE AND THERE IS NO VISIBLE AIR.

JACUSTOMER-8ar6hggc- :

THE THROTTLE RESPONSE SEEMS TO LAG COMPARED TO NORMAL OPERATION OF ENGINE

catmastertech :

That is very high fuel pressure. 55 psi is the normal max I usually see. To have pressure this high, I would think your return line is blocked.

That would make it difficult to see fuel return from the engine.

Did you place a loop in the line to force the fuel to build up in the line? I should have stated that earlier, it makes it easy to see how much air is in the lines.

It has been common to see low fuel pressure causing low power and loose injectors causing air to enter the fuel system. You could have low boost from the turbo as well but, this should make lots of black smoke and you have not stated any smoke was seen.

May the throttle is not opening fully. Have you tried to move the throttle linkage when the engine set to high idle to see if it will move more?

catmastertech :

If all of this is checking out normal, you may not have power to the PRV solenoid. Try running the machine with the controller in backup mode. It should change the operation of the machine.

catmastertech :

If it does not, check for current to the PRV solenoid. It is usually the tall solenoid located in the pump bay.

catmastertech :

Look for a line running from he PRV solenoid to the pump control valves.

catmastertech :

Check for current with the controller in backup mode and automatic mode.

catmastertech :

You should also check the cover of the control and compare the indicator lights to the pattern shown on the sticker.

catmastertech :

Check these lights with the machine operating to see if any are not working or responding to inputs.

catmastertech :

Post the pattern you see of upload pictures of the indicators and I will research the faults.

JACUSTOMER-8ar6hggc- :

OUR OPERATOR IS OUT OF TOWN UNTIL MONDAY MORNING. I WILL GET BACK TO YOU ON MONDAY.

catmastertech :

Ok, that is fine by me. The site will send you notices that I have replied but, you do not need to reply to me until you have had a chance to check the items I mentioned.

catmastertech :

When you do reply, it locks me out of other questions until I send you a reply.