Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Bobcat T200 can't go forward, backward, lift or tilt the bucket. What can be the problem?

Bobcat T200 Traction Lock and...
Bobcat T200 Traction Lock and Lift & Tilt (IE can't go forward, backward, lift or tilt the bucket) intermittently locks out (only traction light comes on, no lift and tilt light) after 30min to 60 minutes of operation, engine sensor replaced 2 years ago and problem still exists, only 20 hrs of additional time since replacement. Checked solenoids (total of 6).

1. BICs lift lock valve: works right pedal coil ohms per manual 5-8-- actual 5.9-6.8--Ground ohms 6.7-- no error code when T200 operated with pig tail disconnected.

2. BICs tilt lock valve: works left pedal coil ohms per manual 5-8-- actual 5.8-6.6 -- Ground ohms 6.6-7.0-- no error code when T200 operated with pig tail disconnected.

3. Parking Brake : Works brake coil ohms per manual 8-10 actual-- 10.2-10.9--ground 0.5-1.5-- error code 1607 blinking traction light when T200 operated with pig tail disconnected could not go forward or backwards could operate lift & tilt.

4. Tilt & Lift Control: Works both pedal controls together ohms per manual 8-10-- actual 10.1-10.9--ground 0.5-58.3 -- error code 1707 blinking traction light when T200 operated with pig tail disconnected could go forward or backwards could not operate lift & tilt.

5. Auxiliary pressure relief A: Operates VIA button on BICS panel ohms per manual 7-10-- Actual 3.7-4.5---ground 29-30-- no error when T200 operated with pig tail disconnected could not go forward or backwards could operate lift & tilt. This was also identified with 10 volt control circuit tag.

6. Auxiliary pressure relief B: Operates VIA button on BICS panel ohms per manual 7-10-- Actual 3.7-4.5---ground 29-30-- no error when T200 operated with pig tail disconnected could not go forward or backwards could operate lift & tilt. This was also identified with 10 volt control circuit tag.

Checked engine speed sensor:
No ohms noted for the speed sensor. Actual 172 when cold (85F) 180 when at operating temp--ground 2.0. After operating (idling) for approx. 1 hour the tractor initiated tw0 (2) beeps and code 06-13 (no signal)traction light only, actual ohms 182.

Manual says on page 60-90-2 "Lift, tilt and traction functions will not operate and none of those codes appear.
7/29/2013
Mechanic: Michelle-mod, Moderator replied 9 years ago
Michelle-mod
Michelle-mod, Moderator

I'm Michelle and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with our professionals to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of our professionals?

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.

Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal.

Thank you,

Michelle~Moderator

Question: Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.

Answer: I can handle waiting for an answer.

Question: I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of our professionals?

Answer: I have not found an answer or solution..

Answer: Yes continue. I still need your assistance. This seems to be a common problem according to some of the chat rooms I have been to. Bobcat dealer service in this area is terrible.

The issue at hand: Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal.

Answer: Stop the sales rhetoric get me an answer to my problem. If you feel you can't, let me know and we will stop here.

Thank you

Ed

Mechanic: Gina-Moderator, Moderator replied 9 years ago
Gina-Moderator
Gina-Moderator, Moderator

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX continue to look for a professional to assist you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance while you wait.

Best,

Gina-Moderator

Mechanic: daves71, Sevice Manager replied 9 years ago
daves71
daves71, Sevice Manager

Hi Ed,

I just looked through your list of tests, does the seat bar light stay lit when the no travel, no lift and tilt problem occurs ? The bics system has no way of knowing the seat bar is down when the switch is actually open ( bad switch ) the bics can only detect a short to ground or a short to power which very rarely happens to a bad seat bar switch.

Let me know and I will try to help from there.

Thanks,

Dave

The engine is running.
The seat light comes on when I pull the bar down and has always been the first to light and then you "press to operate loader switch", this initiates the light for that and the lift & tilt and traction lights. It is not a problem with the seat bar.

Do you want the clear concise video of this problem as it actually happens?

Do you have an FTP site I can upload the 23 meg file to?

Ed

I reduced the MPG file to 9 meg. Will your email handle that? If so send me your email address or contact justask and ask them why there is an attachment icon in the toolbar that won't accept an attachment.

Ed

Dave

Sent mpg just waiting for my outlook to digest it and send. Yep, it has been sent.

The error code 06-13 would lead you to believe it is the engine speed sensor (magnetic proximity switch). I checked the old engine sensor and it has an shows 1 (open circuit) on the meter the newer one shows 172 ohms to 180 ohms ((engine not running) closed circuit). If you have another engine speed sensor or specs that can be compared with this that may rule out the sensor. Also more times than not this problem shows up as code “none” on the light switch.

Ed,

Got it . the traction light never comes on, is the park brake releasing? On the right panel I see a light but can not make it out, can you tell me which one it is? I will do some checking on the sensor but if I remember correctly the traction light will not come on if the BICS does not see engine speed reference

daves71
daves71, Sevice Manager

Dave

The parking brake was released. The light in the ACS display is the Exclamation Icon (you have a problem).

What you see in the video happens after 30 min to an hour of operation. The machine stops dead in its tracks.

I demonstrated in the video that both, the lift and tilt does not operate and the machine cannot be moved forward or backward and only the traction light is out. When this occurs what light should be out when you look at the error codes?

Reread my narrative you will find:

"Manual says on page 60-90-2 "Lift, tilt and traction functions will not operate" and none of the 17-05,06,07 codes appear".

"Bobcat T200 Traction Lock and Lift & Tilt (IE can't go forward, backward, lift or tilt the bucket) intermittently locks out (only traction light comes on, no lift and tilt light) after 30min to 60 minutes of operation, engine sensor replaced 2 years ago and problem still exists, only 20 hrs of additional time since replacement. Checked solenoids (total of 6)."

There is a mistake in item 4 in my narrative should read "blinking Lift/Tilt light" not "blinking Traction light".

Ed

Hi Ed,

Sorry for the long delay. I have been thinking about this most of the day.In the fuse /relay box ( sitting in seat between your legs ) there is a relay that controls traction lock. It seems from what you have described and shown me that the machine works fine for about 30 min and then shuts down travel and bucket functions.I wonder if the relay is having some problems with good contacts ( corrosion inside ) and causing the problem.I would try swapping the light relay with the traction relay and see if the problem continues. I would also check and see if the relay is very warm when the problem starts. Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,

Dave

Replaced all fuses and relays. Cleaned all contacts with cleaner and thin fine file when this all started a couple of years ago. Replace fuse and relay cover at the same time.

Dave

I just rated your service as good and it kicked me out of the system. You have not given me an answer or fix to my problem and that I have not already preformed. You have given me good service in responding with your reply's and accepting the attachment I sent.

Regarding the "It seems from what you have described and shown me that the machine works fine for about 30 min and then shuts down travel and bucket functions. If we can isolate this to a faulty wire, switch, coil, or controller I think it would not only help me but a lot of others I have seem in chat rooms with similar issue.

By the way the Cab Harness has been replaced as well, there is not much I have missed so far before I engaged your services. If I find the solution before you I will let you know.

Ed

Dave

Just so you know starter, battery & alternator have been recently replaced. So the power is there.

The inside of the bobcat has been thoroughly cleaned (you can eat off it). Short of being pimped. new filter on the hydraulic system, hydraulic fluid changed, control valve seals replaced.

Ed

Hi Ed,

one thing I ran across in the service manual that I had not seen before was a statement about replacement speed sensors. The replacement units have a plastic cover on the pickup that is used to set air gap. The quote is " this plastic cap will wear off as soon as the engine is started providing the air gap is set properly" any chance your speed sensor still has plastic covering the pick up? It seems as though the only other possibility is the BICS controller itself as it usually does not tell on itself when they have a problem because it does not know its not working properly.

Good question.

The new speed sensor was installed by a Bobcat tech maybe two years ago. The old one was metal case the new is plastic. I will check with the Bobcat guys on this one and get back to you. I got hold of the old sensor and checked the resistance and it is 415 ohms versus the new one at 180 ohms. I took pic of sensor I think it is attached below the text no plastic cover. I did not expect to see one, however if he left the cover on and set it according to the old sensor the gap after the cap fell off would be 10 mil not 5 mil. Since it is magnetic it could be easily duped and sporadic.

So I have two questions about the engine sensor I need to confront them with.

I will try to get down there today as they are not open on Saturdays.

Will keep you posted on results.

Thanks Ed

Saw the Bobcat tech and he said he installed it correctly.

They did loan me an used (1400 hrs) BICs controller. I almost fell off the stool. They next time it happens change out the controller Immediately. It is unheard of.

Will see what happens.

WOW, up until our local dealer sold out a few months ago I felt robbed everytime I left there with parts. Even switched over to Cat track loaders to get away from Bobcat. Went in 2 days ago to get seal kits and actually felt I paid a more than fair price. Go figure, maybe they really do need our business after all. The controller is about the only thing I can see that you have not changed, hopefully will resolve the problem.

Let me know,

Thanks Again!,

Dave

Dave

The BICS panel replacement did not work. I think it is time to cut you loose. You did a fine job, quick to respond.

I will let you know via your email address if I find out what is causing the problem.

Ed

Ed, I am really sorry that I could not help, Just do not know any more to help.The only other thing would be poor grounds which I think you have already covered. If you would like a refund please let me know as i like to make sure our customers are satisfied.And please let me know if you are able to find the fix.

Thanks,

Dave

Dave

No refund required. It was good chatting with you. Time to move on. Thanks for your help.

Ed