Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a Caterpillar 235 Excavator serial # XXXXX the right…

Customer Question
I have a Caterpillar 235...
I have a Caterpillar 235 Excavator serial # XXXXX the right side track motor or brake is leaking hydraulic fluid out the top at a pressure relieve valve? The final drive is FULL of oil. What causes this leak? I suspect a seal has blown in the break area. What is the procedure for pulling the track hydraulic motor and break and replace the seals. My old Service manual does not give good procedures. I would really like to buy a good online service manual with pictures and video if possible. I could use a parts manual also to look up what seals I need to replace. How do I plug the hydraulic lines so they do not leak all the fluid out while un hooked?

We were walking this excavator down some steep grades before this happened. There was a horrible chattering taking place going down the hills. In my manual I noticed there is a Travel speed control valve mentioned. I think that maybe this valve has failed and was causing the chatter? Not sure where this speed control valve is located?
Can you help?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
7/3/2013
Mechanic: Michelle-mod, Moderator replied 9 years ago
Michelle-mod
Michelle-mod, Moderator

I'm Michelle and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with our professionals to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of our professionals?

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.

Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal.

Thank you,

Michelle~Moderator

I am still waiting for an answer!

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX continue to look for a professional to assist you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance while you wait.

Best,

Michelle-Moderator

I was hoping for a little faster reply! Did you forget about me?

Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 9 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

Hello, I see no one else was able to help you. I have only seen a couple of these machines in my area and just performed minor repairs on them.
I would like to help, if you are still in need.
When a relief valve is leaking, usually that means it is loose or is damaged. Have you check it to see if it is tight or was hit by an object?
When you say the drive is "FULL of oil", do you mean it is slightly overfull or more? Does the oil look like the right grade? (Gear oil or hydraulic oil?)
I don't have videos of service repairs and the only manual I have access to is likely the same as yours. The picture quality is not great in the old books and worst when transferred to computer images. Below is a link to the removal of the motors, maybe it will be better than the old book.
235 track motor removal ←click here.
I have repaired 215's and 245's for brake assemblies leaking oil in the drive. If you drive is over filling, this could be the the cause. it is a job you can do easily with normal tools.
If the motor is the problem, I would recommend a hydraulic shop perform these repairs. This is a piston motor with specific bearing settings for bearing pre-loads.
Below is information for repairing the brakes.
235 brake removal and repair ←click here.
You can order reprints on manuals from the dealers. The quality is better than buying an old used manual but, the images are about the same as the older books.
I can post some images of parts pages if that is what you need. Parts manual are also available for order. Some can be ordered through the CAT website.
Flange fittings are hard to cap off. You could go to the bottom of the swivel and disconnect the lines. Place a cap in the swivel to prevent further leaking. The other option is to use a second set of flange clips and cap off plates to form an end cap. I have also seen a flat plate made to match the flange clips and then bolted to the hose end.
The speed control valve usually means the steering and travel valve under the floor.
As far as the noise goes, if it was only while traveling downhill, it may have been the relief valve relieving excessive pressure or the brake may be dragging when stopping.
If noise is still present, drain the oil from the motor housing into a container to see if metal is inside the case. Also inspect all filters for metal that may indicate a possible failure.
I hope I have answered your questions. If you still need help on some of this, please let me know. I will be glad to help as much as I can.

Thank you for trying to help! but I can tell this is to old of a machine for your expert knowledge.

Have a great day!

Thank you for your reply and understanding. I prefer to be honest and will be glad to help as much as I can. If I can help you find some other details in the manual, please let me know.
I will opt-out to allow others to see the question.
Thanks again, Donnie.

Hi, I’m Michelle a moderator for this topic. It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from another one of our professionals?

Thank you,

Michelle~Moderator