Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

hi i have 2000 cat 311bl excavator the bucket has no power…

hi i have 2000 cat...
hi i have 2000 cat 311bl excavator the bucket has no power but everything else works any suggestions would be grat
4/9/2013
Mechanic: Gina-Moderator, Moderator replied 9 years ago
Gina-Moderator
Gina-Moderator, Moderator

Hi, I'm a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Best,

Gina~Moderator

hi gina i can wait thanks

Hello Andrew:

Thank you for your continued patience. We will continue the search for a professional for you.

Best,

Gina~Moderator
Mechanic: dieseldan55, Mechanic replied 9 years ago
dieseldan55
dieseldan55, Mechanic
Hi Andrew and thanks for your question. It sounds like you either have a failed packing on the cylinder or possible relief valve issue. Is your power issue in both directions? can you curl the bucket to the end position, then hold it there for 1 minute and then check to see if the cylinder barrel is hot or warmer than the other cylinders. This would indicate leakage in the cylinder (packings) . You could also verify the servo pressure to the spool, you can swap the lines with a working circuit or use a pressure gauge to verify around 400 psi applied when stroking the handle. If the servo pressure is two low the spool can't overcome the neutral spring on the spool. I don't have any specs for this machine, but you should be able to perform these suggestions quite easily. Thanks, Dan.

good morning dan it is weak in both directions i will try these and get back to you thanks andrew

Hi, thanks for the reply back.. That sounds like a cylinder issue. Another way to check the cylinder is to block the barrel side, pressure applied to the rod side and if the cylinder rod moves outward, there is leakage inside the cylinder. This is due to the force applied to the surface of the piston inside the cylinder. I will check in later today.

hi dan i turned set screw in got power on curling bucket in nothing pushing out should get a new relief valve or rebuild this o-rings spring etc thanks

Hello, on the equipment I work with there is normally a relief for each side of the circut. So I would look on the oposite side of the control valve for a similar relief. Odd that they would both be bad at the same time. However if the relief is in good condition meaning nothing is scratch or worn then the o-rings will work. If they aren't costly then just R/R and reset to the circut shock value. I will normally just reseal the valve since ours are costly reliefs. Let me know how you make out,thanks.
dieseldan55
dieseldan55, Mechanic