Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

CAT el300 No swing when at wide open throttle as soon as you…

Customer Question
CAT el300 No swing when...
CAT el300 No swing when at wide open throttle as soon as you use the dipper, tracks or boom. Back the engine down to half swing works fine, throttle up, fine until another function is used. Oil hot or cold does the same.

S/N 4NF000556
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
4/9/2013
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 9 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

catmastertech :

Is the charging system working correctly? If voltage is dropping due to a loose fan belt, this would cause the solenoid to stop releasing the swing brake.

catmastertech :

Does this machine have any attachments added into the circuits? Thumb, hammer etc.?

catmastertech :

I may have jumped in too soon, I was thinking this layout is like the current 330 machines but, I see it is completely different.

catmastertech :

I have not worked on the hydraulic system for this machine, only some engine work.

catmastertech :

I am looking through the manual to see if I can find anything related to your problem and will post it if I find anything.

JACUSTOMER-d22eaud9- : I am currently working overseas, the excavator is the US. I will be back to it in 3 Weeks. Forgive my delays as internet can be out for .days.
catmastertech :

I am having some issues finding information on this machine and since it is complete different from newer machines I don't think I can be of much help. You probably know more about this machine than I will reading through this manual.

JACUSTOMER-d22eaud9- : Yes it is plumbed for a hammer. Belts are tight and charging system working fine. I bought the excavator had it delivered and walked it 10 miles to its destination. Noticed the swing problem when walking I had to throttle down to swing. The machine has plenty of power at idle, Lifts the machine of the ground pulls it sideway in snow. Very little electronics on this machine. Almost like a flow divider or priority valve issue. Not a pump sroke issue or filter issue as all other funtions are flawless at all engine speeds and loads
JACUSTOMER-d22eaud9- : Ok, thank you for the honest input, I have a manual waiting back in the states, just wanted to to get a jump on it.
catmastertech :

I saw a note about checking the shuttle valve in the pilot system when swing is slow to start or will not move. Since the problem appears after moving a lever, this could be your issue.

catmastertech :

I am trying to find details about this valve. Odd book is difficult to search.

JACUSTOMER-d22eaud9- :

i think you are getting close. by the way the machine feels, it is like a pilot control/ no flow issue

JACUSTOMER-d22eaud9- :

i should clarify, no flow/ pressure in the swing pilot lines. as swing device is very solid and not overflowing oil.

catmastertech :

This valve appears to be attached to the swing control valve on the motor. It is a block on the side at one end. Reading about it though, it sounds like it just dumps flow but, I don't see the reason it is dumping flow and to were yet.

catmastertech :

If you are not seeing pilot oil pressure to the swing valve, the swing brake solenoid could be an issue. ↓

Before pilot oil can flow to valve (10) and on to the motor, switch (45) has to be moved to the OFF position. The solenoid of swing brake release valve (37) becomes energized, allowing pilot oil through line (36) to swing brake (4). Brake (4) releases to allow the upper structure to swing.

catmastertech :

Selector valve is the source of flow to the swing brake solenoid. I have not seen were the lines are tied into the brake. Operation manual says the valve is controlled by the hand lever and this oil is sent to the pump to the signal port of the pump.

Selector lever (46) extends into the door opening of the cab when selector valve (13) is in the OPERATE position. This helps the operator to remember to move the lever up to the LOCK position before he gets out of the cab.

In the LOCK position, pilot pump output is blocked to the pilot control valves. Any pilot pressure present between valve (13) and the remainder of the pilot system is drained to tank through valve (13).

With the selector valve (13) in the OPERATE position, pilot oil pressure exists at five valves as follows:

1. Boom and bucket pilot control valve (24).
2. Stick and swing pilot control valve (27).
3. Left and right travel pilot control valves (25) and (26) respectively.
4. Swing brake release solenoid valve (38).
5. Solenoid valve (11) for two-speed travel.
6. Logic signal valves (30) for equalized travel.
catmastertech :

Well, the more I read, the more other items can effect control as well. Logic valve for travel also see pump signal pressure but, this would not stop flow from the pilot lines. The only thing suggested was the brake solenoid.

catmastertech :

Full Size Image

catmastertech :

Swing Compartment (View Toward Left Side Of Compartment)
(34)
Line (to drain). (35) Line (swing right pilot oil). (36) Line (swing left pilot
oil). (37) Line (pilot pressure to solenoid). (38) Valve (swing brake release
solenoid). (40) Line (release pressure to swing brake).

catmastertech :

Since I am not much help on this I will opt-out to let others see this question. I will watch the question, if no one else can help I will be glad to try to assist you further.

Mechanic: Michelle-mod, Moderator replied 9 years ago
Michelle-mod
Michelle-mod, Moderator

It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!

Michelle