Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a 1986 john deere 210c backhoe. It has 4 gears with…

Customer Question
I have a 1986...
I have a 1986 john deere 210c backhoe. It has 4 gears with shuttle drive, it just started slipping yesterday and in 2 minutes lost all forward and backwards movement. If I shut it off for a minute it will move a short distance before stopping again forward and reverse act the same. What could be the problem? Torque converter? clutches? fluid? (full) Filter?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
4/8/2013
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 9 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

koboma :

This shows to be the reverser. It has its own dipstick and fluid. Is t full of fluid? What does the oil condition look like? I would drain the oil and see if you find metal or obvious damaged parts in the drained oil.

koboma :

Torques converter is not likely problem and if clutch would be out, it would only affect one gear or one direction. With both f/r being affected, the shuttle is more likely where the problem is.. Be sure the drive shaft is turning the input shaft when engine is running.