Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

i have a cat 140h grader with hydraulic problems. system is…

Customer Question
i have a cat 140h...
i have a cat 140h grader with hydraulic problems. system is over heating and builds preassure in tank. which releave valves should I check? where can I get a hydraulic circuit diagram?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
4/7/2013
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 9 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician
Hello, I would like to help with this problem if it is not too late.
I work mainly at night and will be around until midnight.

The pressure should not stay at high pressure. I am sure this is the cause of the overheating problem. The tank is pressurized a few psi so, having some pressure is normal.
The most common problem I have seen on G models was a lever sticking, cause the pump to stay at high pressure. I have not had this problem on a H model yet. The pump control is slightly different.
Have you tried each lever to see if the pressure will drop on any of them?
Did you cut open the filters to see if any metal or debris was present?
Has this machine had any other problems recently?
Please post the serial number so , I can find the correct information. I can get a few images to help you but, to see the full schematic, you will need to purchase that from a dealer. Some will sell the schematic alone, saving you a lot of money over the cost of the book. If you are planning to keep this machine, I would highly recommend the full manual.