Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a Gradall 524D, I have to start it with starter fluid.

It runs ok till it...
I have a Gradall 524D, I have to start it with starter fluid. It runs ok till it gets hot the breaks lockup. To get it to move again I have to put it in numeral then back in gear and hit the gas pedal hard.

It feels like somebody is hitting the rear hand break. However the boom power is good and stays consistent
4/5/2013
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 9 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

koboma :

What engine do you have? Does it have glow plugs or other means for cold start?

koboma :

When the brakes are trying to lock, have you opened the brake bleed line at the wheel to see if there is pressure to the brake from the master cylinder/brake valve? If there is pressure, the brake valve may not be returning to its neutral position. Either needing adjustment of the the push rod, or freeing up the valve and linkage.

Customer: No I have not. I have always assumed it was low pressure in the hydrolic pump. The Gradall has no power going up hill when it is w9
Customer: Sorry, hit the send a little to soom. W9 means warm.
koboma :

No power can be engine not getting fuel to a brake dragging or even the hydraulic drive being weak.

koboma :

How long has it been like this? Have the fuel and air filter been changed to see if it makes any difference on performance?

koboma :

With engine hard to start, the engine can have low compression or just not enough fuel to get it going right.

Customer: About a year, yes we have changed the filters
Customer: Could be both of these things. Will get completion checked.
koboma :

Have you tried a test fuel line from the fuel primer pump into a separate fuel container or back into the fuel filler opening, eliminating the suction side of the system, to see if there is problem between tank and primer??

koboma :

You could have obstruction or debris in the suction system, which includes the tank.

Customer: Ok, so every thing is pointing at the breaks and fuel system not the hydrolic system?
koboma :

With what I have to go by, that is where I would start.

koboma :

Be sure the brake pedal is returning and not being held by rust or mud under the linkage.

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician