Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

So the transmission oil is separate from the hydraulic tank…

So the transmission oil is...
So the transmission oil is separate from the hydraulic tank in the rear of the tractor? I will pull the floor plate and check fluid level. I went and purchased some special 30 weight oil from CAT @ $20.00 per gallon....so hopefully that will take care of the problem.
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/26/2013
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 9 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

catmastertech :

Yes, older tractors with transmissions have separate compartments.

catmastertech :

Only the C Hystat model is different, as is the new G and K models. They are all hydrostatic drives.

catmastertech :

Do you have you tractor's serial number?

Customer:

It does, but I have not located the Serial #. I'm a weekend rancher and purchased the machine to help clean some small brush and help with some ditches and roads. I've always wanted a dozer to play with and purchased this one for my wife's valentines gift. I'm hoping the problems with reverse are minor.

Customer:

I used the dozer Sunday morning to push brush but as the day wore on the reverse problem began to creep into the picture.

catmastertech :

Are you sure it is a B model?

Customer:

D3B Z

Customer:

what is a B model?

catmastertech :

I don't know what the Z is for, that is something I have not seen. D3 or D3B or D3C, The last letter indicates model series.

catmastertech :

Some have Series II or Series III after the model number.

catmastertech :

Let me see if I can find the location for the serial number to help you find the data plate.

Customer:

Product Id is 27y02628*

catmastertech :

THAT'S IT!!!

Customer:

Good...I'm really hoping that this problem is minor, replacing the clutch packs is not going to be in-expensive. The tractor will spin tracks in forward, but having trouble backing up.

catmastertech :

I am looking at the owners manual for this machine, do you have one?

Customer:

No manual...ordered one from Cat today.

catmastertech :

Great, that will provide the best information to locate all the service points.

Customer:

I'm learning a lot about Cat and track equipment. I like to keep equipment maintained and use OEM parts when possible. Just makes life easier.

catmastertech :

When a problem appears follow this procedure to begin locating the area of concern.

catmastertech :

Visual Checks

1. Check the oil level in the transmission.

2. Check the oil level in the bevel pinion and bevel gear case compartment.

3. Check the oil level of the final drives.

4. Inspect all oil lines, hoses, connections and external valves for leaks or damage.

5. Check the transmission control linkage and steering and brake control linkages for damage and/or adjustment.

6. Check the adjustment of the track.

7.Check the magnetic screen and filter for foreign material.

a. Iron or steel particles give an indication of transmission or transfer gear failure.
b. Bronze-colored particles give an indication of clutch failure.
c. Shiny steel particles give an indication of a pump failure.
d. Rubber particles give an indication of a seal failure or hose failure.
e. Aluminium particles give an indication of a torque converter failure.

If metal or rubber particles are found, all components of the power train hydraulic system must be washed clean. Do not use parts with damage. Use new parts.

Customer:

Ok thanks.

catmastertech :

Let me see if I have spec's for the cables.

catmastertech :

I am pulling down the info now.

catmastertech :

Make sure cables are in proper working order before going into transmission.

catmastertech :

If you are planning to service transmission, service the suction screen also.

catmastertech :

Save the filter and cut it open. Inspect it for debris and try to determine what is in it. (Brass Aluminum or Iron)

catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician