Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a TB 135 it was idling and just shut off then began…

Customer Question
I have a Takeuchi TB...

I have a Takeuchi TB 135 it was idling and just shut off then began to crank on its on. I disconnected acc /white wire from the ignition switch and used a jumper wire to energize the acc /white wire and same problem .tested all 8 diodes they ck good disconnected alternator no change unplugged all relays one at a time but S terminal still being energized by the 'safety solenoid' the safety solenoid has a solid state module mounted on the back of it I believe it is there to protect the starter from being engaged while the engine is running but not sure. Has anybody seen this problem.

Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
1/23/2013
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 9 years ago
Dan, Technician

HeavyEquipmentTech :

Hi my name is Dan. I will try to help. Disconnect the S terminal wire for troubleshooting. Using a test light with the ignition switch on test for power going in and out of the ignition switch with the switch on the off position and in the on position. There should be no power to the "start" post of the ignition switch. If there is then you have a shorted switch. If this tests ok then check your harness for bare, shorted or corroded wiring. Check all your fuses and relays as you could have a bad relay that is sticking. Reply back if you need further help with this

Relay Test Procedure
Full Size Image

JACUSTOMER-k322urr0- :

The temp sensor just shuts it down when hot it would not start the cranking and nothing stops the cranking except removing voltage from acc wire

HeavyEquipmentTech :

Check the harness very closely for a short where it can receive power from another source. first test the ignition switch as I suggested to eliminate whether or not that is shorted putting constant power to start

HeavyEquipmentTech :

Check/clean all your connections including all your grounds.

HeavyEquipmentTech :

If The harness, ign switch, and relays test ok then follow the S terminal wire when energized and disconnected with your test light back to your safety solenoid and for power coming from your ignition switch to it. If there is no power to signal it then there shouldnt be power going out to the starter S terminal. If not shorts are found in the harness then you your problem is likely a shorted solenoid. Reply back with your results and I will be more than happy to help you further if needed. I log in periodically throughout the day to check the posts

JACUSTOMER-k322urr0- :

When I energize the s terminal @ the switch end I get only the starter no fuel pump no fuel shut off on the injector pump only the s terminal on starter comes hot

HeavyEquipmentTech :

How does the harness look ? Test the ignition switch first with a test light and let me know if it tests ok and check your relays

JACUSTOMER-k322urr0- :

dealership is sending me the explanation of the safety relay thanks

JACUSTOMER-k322urr0- :

who is JACUSTOMER just another customer?

HeavyEquipmentTech :

That is you.

HeavyEquipmentTech :

Ok feel free to come back with any other questions you may have as this question will remain open if you save and exit

JACUSTOMER-k322urr0- :

first time user my should be da customer these takeuchis give so few problems that when they do it is a nightmare to get info the bad thing is I only borrowed this thing to bury my dog I should have dug the hole by hand.

HeavyEquipmentTech :

Ahhhh Never a good thing when it's not yours. I totally understand your frustration. Seems to always work out that way for some reason

HeavyEquipmentTech :

Sorry for your loss