Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Hello, I own a takeuchi TL 26. Yesterday the right pilot control…

Hello, I own a takeuchi...
Hello, I own a takeuchi TL 26. Yesterday the right pilot control went a little crazy. It will boom up and uncurl fine, but it will not uncurl or boom down properly. It uncurls and booms down about an inch a minute. Before the failure everything was working fine. The machine was serviced about 200 hundred hours ago. The only item not serviced at that time was the line filter. Thanks for your help.Customer
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/15/2013
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 9 years ago
Dan, Technician

HeavyEquipmentTech :

Hi my name isXXXXX will try to help. IF it is only acting up on that one function then trace your lines back to the main control valve and inspect that spool and relief cartridges on that circuit for metal and debris that could be causing the valve to stick. Also check your hydraulic filter for metal and debris that would indicate a pump or component problem occurring. Let me know. I hope this helps. Reply back if you need further help with this

Customer:

I pulled the hyd. return filter and found dirt (from filling the hyd. res. in the field) and pieces of plastic and rubber in the filter. Is there any way to narrow down between the main control valve and the pilot control vavle for failure. Also can you tell me where the main control vale is located on the machine. I have the parts catalog and the owners manual, but niether are specific on the location and the pictures are really generic. Thanks again for your help! L.S. Elements

HeavyEquipmentTech :

Most of my experience is on Cat, Bobcat, etc. there arent many of these machines around my area however they all operate on the same principles. From my understanding this is electric over hydraulic servo controls so I would check your joystick controller, harness and connections, and power to the solenoids with the ignition switch on when you try to operate your boom function. Open the engine compartment door and raise the cab into the service position to access your harness, valves, etc. If you have power to the solenoid valves consistently when operating that function then the problem is likely the solenoid acting up.

HeavyEquipmentTech :

There is a safety interlock circuit that will disable our functions when the operator leaves the seat or the seat bar is not down or if there is a problem in that circuit but in your case it is only one function so it is unlikely you have a safety interlock issue. It is most likely a solenoid valve problem or an electrical problem between the joystick and the solenoid.

Customer:

Hello from the boss. After spending some time and money I've decided to take it to the shop to someone who is familiar with this machine. Without a service manual and experience, we just can't trace this problem without just plugging parts in and hoping that was the problem. Thanks for your help and we will use you again.

Dan, Technician