Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Case 590 Super M Backhoe was backing up a steep hill, spinning…

Customer Question
Case 590 Super M Backhoe...
Case 590 Super M Backhoe was backing up a steep hill, spinning on dirt trying to get traction and backhoe just quit (no sound of any breaking parts). Electrical in transmission is OK (reverse & forward solenoids are OK). All pressures reads good. Was told sometimes snap ring in control valve can break but it is good. Took transmission out of backhoe, all parts inside look good. Wondering if the torque converter could be the problem? Any other ideas?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
1/2/2013
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 9 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Customer:

You didn't brake axle shaft ? With rear end off ground does the opposite wheel spin in opposite rotation when wheel is turned?

Customer:

If axles are good, that is what should happen, if only one wheel spins, one axle will be broken or stripped, or the side gears in the third member are broken.

Customer:

???

JACUSTOMER-48yxs010- :

the

Customer:

the???

JACUSTOMER-48yxs010- :

the axles are good, yes. we checked that right away. we do not have power from transmission. sorry i entered the accidentally

JACUSTOMER-48yxs010- :

Sorry, trying to get the hang of this editor. Keep hitting enter to go to the next line and off the text goes to you. Sorry.

Switched to question and answer so it will load quicker. scroll up to view earlier responses. Please do not rate until satisfied. Thank you.

so the wheels do turn in opposite directions? You don't see any striped splines on the torque converter? Or do you have it off the engine end?

yes, wheels turn in opposite directions. I wish that could be the problem then we would no whats wrong. dont see any stripped splines on torque converter. could the inside of the converter be broken and not see broken metal parts? my mechanic thinks it would be a mess of broken parts. when he drained the transmission, the oil was just like new. we had a case tech look at it as well, he is the one who told us about someone who had the same transmission taken apart, and not finding any thing wrong. the case tech looked at it and found the broken snap ring in the control valve. we were hopefull this was our problem. i have exsperts helping me, but we are missing something. about 5 years ago , i lost reverse in this machine . i had a mech. helping me . we thought the reverse solinoid was bad . we put the forward one in its place but it still didnt work . i end up finding the problem at the back up alarm. wire was shorting out. now today i tell my tech i still think its electrical even though forwards and reverse solinoids are working, and it stopped so suddely with no breaking sounds. what are we missing ? thats why we are giving you the challenge. good luck! greg

What about the declutch valve? Used to kick unit into neutral when lifting load or shifting gears?

That's a good point. thought we'd checked that out so called my mechanic for confirmation and am waiting for a reply.

OK

tech tells me this was one of the first things he checked out. i left another message with him asking if the declutch has a separate valve or does it go through control valve. waiting for his response. he is coming home from the N. D. oil fields tonight. greg

With good pressures, the shuttle should be working the clutches, Which also makes me think the torque converter is good, But a stripped shaft in torques converter or any of the shafts through the unit all the way to the rear end would have same effect, no output! I would like to know what you find!

We put transmission back in this weekend. Tech put new clutches & seals in it. After checking pressure with air, he didn't feel confident it was going to work. He wanted to dyno check it before putting it back in machine. That was going to be a long wait, so we decided to put it in since he left for ND today. It’s much the same as before. Electrical checks good, pressure good, a little high, but no output. When shifting from forward to reverse I can hear a wispy sound like the torque converter is spinning, but no output. He is going to check output flow at transmission filter this next weekend.

Greg

OK. I don't see output flow will sow anything. You have good pressure, which means the transmission pump is being turned by the torque converter. But it does leave question as to whether the torque converter is broken internally. Let me know. Thanks for the reply.

Still don't know anything yet. Moved backhoe to my shop and I will take it apart again here - working outside in the winter time is no fun. Put blocks underneath it and planning on removing transmission in the next few days. The flow checks good... it took a long time to make an adapter for the transmission filter. I'm still thinking it could possibly be a broken input shaft. Found out Tech never actually looked at it visually - He said he thought it "felt good" and there were no splinters or broken pieces in the oil or inside the transmission.

OK, thanks for the update.