Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have an 99 LX665 Skid Steer. Just replaced the fuel filter…

I have an 99' LX665...
I have an 99' LX665 Skid Steer. Just replaced the fuel filter and hydroloic filter. While operating the machine, it occassionally bogs down as if it were moving a heavy load, yet the machine it almost doing nothing at all. I has done it while moving, or at a stand still but moving the arms/tiliting the bucket. I rented a new holland machine a few years ago that had the same problem. Not sure if it's fuel or hydroloics.... any advice?
Thank you
Ryan
12/27/2012
Mechanic: dieseldan55, Mechanic replied 9 years ago
dieseldan55
dieseldan55, Mechanic
Hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX I would like to try and assist you with your question. Does this problem happen when traveling, or just boom and bucket operation?
mostly while traveling. Occassionally it happens during boom and bucket operation.

Okay thanks for that information, It would seem that the machine is starving for fuel or air in the system. One common issue would be the electric fuel pump at the rear of the machine. The wiring will sometimes fry and cause the pump to work intermittently, or the pump itself is faulty. Can you run a test on the fuel pump to make sure it's pumping steady fuel when tapping on it, or wiggling the wires might show it turning on and off.

In addition to that, is there any smoke out the exhaust when this happens?

It was over night that I noticed this problem. However there did seem to be more smoke then normal when this would occur. Also an odor to accompany it. It smelt more like the struggling hyrdo system though to me.
Go and check the turbo impeller for hitting the sidewall. It will cause poor power and black smoke. Make sure the intake doesn't have oil in it, if so it would indicate a failing turbo. The fuel shutoff shouldn't be ruled out, that the coil is weak and starving the machine of fuel. You could verify the Hydraulic pressures and see if they are of specs. However if the issue happens with both the travel and boom or bucket it would seem more of a engine power issue.
dieseldan55
dieseldan55, Mechanic

thank you for all of your help. Being pointed in the right direction is great! Thanks Again

Your welcome, glad we can help. If you need any information from the service manuals let me know and I can download them to you. Thanks, Dan.