Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

The left steering clutch keeps losing adjustment and now does…

The left steering clutch keeps...
The left steering clutch keeps losing adjustment and now does not work well at all.
Is this a job I can fix in my shop without special cat tools, and how is it done.
This is a early 90's cat D-4
12/22/2012
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 9 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

catmastertech :

If the brake band is not worn out, the problem must be the adjuster click-spring. Does it click when you adjust it?

catmastertech :

Some lift equipment is needed as well as something to hold the tank out of the way.

catmastertech :

Do you have the serial number?

catmastertech :

Here is an over view of the procedure for a D4B, you can review it to see if it is a job you feel like tackling. You may need to remove the steering clutch to replace the spring if it is broken. The spring is riveted to the brake band and cannot be repaired in the machine.

catmastertech :

Remove and Install Steering clutch <<<click here.

catmastertech :

Correction--this is for a D3C but, it is nearly identical to a D4B.

catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

hello been awhile Donnie, I am working on this machine now. The serial number is XXXXX and it is a D4C cat. I have it taken down on the left side with the cover off and do need a little help figuring how to remove the brake band, and some advice on what all I should ckeck for and replace. The left side did not brake at all even when tightened down all the way.

I will ckeck back later thanks Jeff

The instructions cover the bolts that must be removed. You may find a spring at the bottom of the brake band, the adjusting screw is a small setscrew and nut that is threaded through the bottom of the case. Often this is sheared off or worn away. You may only notice the band is still hooked to the spring but, most of the time this has broken off a long time ago. It only serves to help hold the band off the drum when released.
Another option to pushing the machine to access the clutch bolts is the lift the tractor and track off the ground. Block it up so you can turn the track to access the bolts. You could use a jack against a track pad or a small lift.
Not much to this job, just a lot of bolts to remove on each side of the clutch. Remove both the brake drum and clutch mounting bolts.

the serial number is XXXXX and the machine number is XXXXX

I have wet clutches and the instructions are for dry type is there much difference in procedure. jeff

No, not much difference in how they are removed. Only difference is how the clutch is stacked together and different parts are used for (wet) oil type clutches and bands.
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician