Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have bought a d6n at an auction and the fault indicator comes…

I have bought a d6n...
I have bought a d6n at an auction and the fault indicator comes on after 10 mins these are the codes that come on can someone please help me
030 248.02, 263.04, 324.05, 819.02, 821.04 113 168.04, 177.o4, 269.04, 618.02 036 175.04, 91.02, 263.04, 168.02, 262.04, 296.09
this is the serial number cat00d6nkaly00324
11/14/2012
Mechanic: Steve, Mechanic replied 9 years ago
Steve
Steve, Mechanic

Hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX I may be able to help you out. Here is a fault code list for your machine so that you can see what the numbers mean. After looking a t the fault codes, there are a few things that look odd to me, there are several low voltage power supply faults, these usually indicate sensor failures that are causing a short circuit, or they could just mean that someone has been troubleshooting the system. It's difficult to troubleshoot these systems when there a lot of logged fault codes because you have to eliminate each fault. There is a fairly inexpensive service tool available from Caterpillar that you may be interested in purchasing, and we may find it necessary, if we can't find the problem with a few basic tests, It's about 150.00$ US. and I can give you the number if you would like it. There are a couple of things that we can do first to try to isolate the problem. First when you pulled the fault codes did any of them show " SERV CODE" in th upper RH corner of the display? this indicates an active fault code. Next, does the machine have any operation complaints? and next which fault indicator comes on

hi thank you for getting back so quick the light that comes on is the engine with the excalmation there are no operating problem everything seems to operate normal. But when you first start it the alt light stays on for quite awhile till you rev it up then it goes out when the engine light comes on i hit the check mark and it says serv code then flashes all the codes and says end when done sometimes the engine light comes on and you stop and idle for 5 mins then it goes out and then comes on 10 mins later

Ok, the alternator light is normal, that system actually measures battery voltage not alternator charge, so when you crank it and it drops the surface charge it flashes for a few minutes until it charges back up. A lot of times people will start the machine up when its cold and let it idle with the lights on and the heater on and it will do the same thing. So it looks like we can focus on the engine, what we need to do is scroll through the fault codes when the engine warning light is on and see which code also indicates "serv code" that will tell us what is causing the light to come on.

ok i will check it out and get back to you on thursday night i have a birthday party to attend tommorrow

Ok, I'll be waiting

i

hi steve i checked out that cat and the only code that showed serv code beside it is 036 175.04 then i noticed that a hyd line going to the big canister filter on the back under the fuel tank is leaking and i checked the trans oil with withe the cat running this time and its below the add mark by a liter or so when i check it with the cat off its on the verge of add

Ok, the oil level should not be low enough to cause any problems, the fault code that you are getting indicates that the engine oil temperature sensor is failing, this should be a fairly easy fix, the part number for the sensor is(NNN) NNN-NNNNand it is located in the top of the cylinder head near the air intake port, it has a green and pink wire connected to it. It's possible that there maybe a wiring problem that is causing this fault but I think that we should start with the sensor, Steve

ok would that effect the temp gage cause after pushing snow for a half an hour the temp gage dont move any

No, the engine oil temperature sensor does not have a guage on the dash, just the coolant and the transmission oil temperature, in a normal operating system the transmission temperature should read just slightly higher than the coolant temperature.

ok maybe i didnt work it hard enough for them to come up thanks i will check the sensor out and the wiring and get back to you when i change it out thank you

Ok, talk to you soon.

hi steve this is what i have done. i put the new sensor in and tried it light came on went back to the shop took all trhe conections apart cleaned them put die electric grease in all the plugs even the big main plug down at the bottom went out light came on again went back rto the shop and checked the sensor with a multi meter and the wire i get a reading of .97 ohms on the sensor and 1.19 ohms on the wire bolth ways

Ok, things are going to get a little complicated from here. I need to ask a few questions before we continue. I see that you have the engine listed as a 6.6 Acert, according to my information your machine should have a 3126B SN: BMA00324. can you confirm which one you have so I don't lead us down a wrong path. Second I see that this is an LGP machine, in my experience with LGP machines, they have often times been swimming at least once in their life. do you see any evidence of mud or water above the engine ECM? And third, it sounds like you understand electrical circuits and testing them, do you have a set of back probes that you can test the wires with the circuit complete? we can pierce the wires if we need to but I try not to do that unless I don't have any other options.

im not sure on the engine the the tags on the valve cover are worn to bad to read. Is there any other marks to tell what it would be? and for the swimming part it doesnt look to have been in the water somebody cut the pads off to only 24" you can see the torch marks and the third question no i dont have any back probes i would have to pierce the wires

I'm going to explain how the temperature guage circuit works, and then I will suggest a few things that we can test. A reference voltage of about 5 volts is sent from the computer and the changing resistance in the sensor allows some of the voltage to bleed off. the varying voltage is what the computer uses to indicate the temperature. the voltage can not go all the to 0 volts or the computer will indicate a short to ground fault, if the voltage goes all the way to 5 volts. the computer will indicate and open circuit fault. The fault code that your machine is showing indicates that the signal voltage is low which indicates a short to ground in the wiring or a problem with the engine computer. Let's check the voltage at the pink and green wires at the sensor with it unplugged, this will be the maximum reference voltage. then connect the sensor and monitor the voltage and let me know what it is when the warning light goes off.

with the sensor unpluged and the cat running reading is 4.97 volts I ran the cat till the light came on with the sensor pluged in i tested it and the reading is .18

There are 3 things that can cause this problem, the first is the sensor shorting to ground,and we've eliminated that, the second is a short to ground in the pink wire from the ECM to the sensor, or third the sensor driver in the ECM itself. In order to make any further tests, it's going to be necessary to remove the sensor wire from the plug on the ecm and run a bypass wire. to the sensor. I'll get the part numbers for the tools and send them to you in a few hours. they are just little plastic tubes and they are not too expensive.

Hello, while I was looking for the tooling part numbers for your machine I found a service bulletin that pertains to the active oil temperature fault that you are having. I think that before we do any more testing, you should have the Caterpillar dealer reprogram your engine computer with this latest software, and they can also look at the other fault codes that are in your machine and see if they indicate any other potential problems. There are a few things that concern me about the fault codes in your machine that pertain to the sensor power supplies in all of the ECM's on the machine. And it would be a good Idea to have someone with a diagnostic computer look at the faults and reset them. The process takes less than an hour, and if you took the machine to the dealer it would not even have to be unloaded off of the trailer. Let me know what you decide to do and we will continue the troubleshooting process if we need to. One other thing.. It would probably be a good idea to be a little vague when you speak to the Caterpillar dealer about where you got this information. Thanks, Steve

Hi Steve thank you for all your help I think I will just take it to the dealer and have them figure it out. As im very busy with my trackhoe right now and dont have time to play with it anymore. I was hopeing it was something small that i could do myself but thank you very much.

Jason

Ok, The dealer is the only one that can load the software anyway, and it shouldn't be too much money. Let me know what you find out if you would please. You can post to this question even if it is closed, you can also bookmark my profile and it will take you directly to me. Good luck and thanks for using JA. Steve
Steve
Steve, Mechanic

hi steve jason here again i took the cat to the dealer and the ecm was screwed they replaced it and all is good thanks again

Hi Jason, glad to hear that things worked out for you. Thanks again, Steve