Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

my john deere 110 backhoe will not go forward or backward...it…

my john deere 110 backhoe...
my john deere 110 backhoe will not go forward or backward...it moves a few feet then stops...i turn the engine off, works a few more feet, stops again, does this several times, each time lasting a little longer, seems to respond better when i pump the pedal 2-3 times..tried letting it warm up longer..no difference...oil level seems fine , in fact i thought that was the problem and may have overfilled it...suggestions????
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/9/2012
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 9 years ago
Dan, Technician

HeavyEquipmentTech :

Hi my name isXXXXX will try to help. Check your safety switches ( seat switch under your seat etc) and the wiring and connections to them. If your safety switches are faulty or not engaging with the operator in the seat your backhoe will not move. If checks out ok then check your filters and oil for metal/debris that would indicate other internal problems. I hope this helps. Let me know your results and if you need further help with this.

Customer:

just got back in town and got your email....i worked on the backhoe this morning..it's 3 hours from here at my cabin...not the seat,,,i drained all of the transmission fluid...removed the suction screen and suction filter...not real bad but did have dirt and metal inclusions trapped on the screen..???? no john deere dealers nearby but will pickup oil and new filters tomorrow...if this doesnt fix it, then im leaning towards the forward/reverse potentiometer....is this something i can adjust or replace myself? ...hate to have to haul it to a JD dealer....$$$$ Ouch!!!!

Dan, Technician