Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a komatsu D65A-6, when it is first started and put into…

I have a komatsu D65A-6...
I have a komatsu D65A-6, when it is first started and put into gear it does not want to dance away, it is very sluggish until the oil warms up but then the oil gets hot very quickly.1st gear reverse raise's the temp almost imediately as soon as I pull it into reverse the revs drop to 1500 rpm or less and will not pick up. Also when I load the machine up that the tracks stop the temp rises straight away. So where do I look for the problem transmission, control vale or torque converter
11/9/2012
Mechanic: Steve, Mechanic replied 9 years ago
Steve
Steve, Mechanic
Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I may be able to help you out. Everything that you have described except for the PRM drop in reverse indicates a failing torque converter so let's start there first. When a torque converter fails it will leak to much oil into the housing and submerge it in oil and cause it to act like a hydraulic brake, it will also reduce the oil flow to the oil cooler which will cause excessive heat. The way that I like to test torque converter is to run the machine for a few minutes under load and then immediately shut it down, then drain the oil from the torque converter housing, If I get more than about 3 gallons then it's likely that the converter has failed. Do this test and let me know what you find and I will see what kind of service information I have. Steve

I have tried you test and ended up with about a half gallon of oil

Well that's a good sign, it looks like the torque converter is probably not the problem, can you tell me if the driveline between the torque converter and the transmission stops turning in all forward and reverse gears with the brakes applied? and do the brakes feel like they are released properly? Do you have the equipment and the ability to take a few pressure tests?

drive line stops imediately in all gears. I do not have any pressure testing equipment

There is an oil scavenge system in the transmission that keeps the planetaries and clutch packs from being submerged in oil, it's possible that this system is not working properly and causing a drag in the transmission. The service information that I have is not for your exact machine, it is for a newer model, but basically you check it the same way as the torque converter, try checking the transmission and I would say that it should not have more than about 5 gallons in it, Be sure to drain just the transmission and not the entire powertrain reservoir. Steve

Thanks for the advice have discovered have simply over fillled with oil the book said transmission holds 54 litres of oil and didn't say how much in each reservoir

Hello, that's good to hear there wasn't a big problem. The amount of power loss that parts submeged in oil have always amazes me. Good luck to you and thanks for using JA. XXXXX XXXXX
Steve
Steve, Mechanic