Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Hi There We have assembled a Cat 3304 PC engine for one…

Hi There We have assembled a...
Hi There

We have assembled a Cat 3304 PC engine for one of our customers. We installed the engine in the loader and started the engine. The engine is only running on 3 cylinders. IF you loosen no 4 injector pipe it makes no difference to the engine.

We took no4 injector out, the injector is wet from the diesel. If you turn the key of the loader, its starts immediatley. One guy on site said my timing is out. Will the engine start to quikly if the timing is out?
10/31/2012
Mechanic: Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert replied 10 years ago
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Hi. Thanks for using JA! I will try and help you out.

It sounds like you may have a faulty injector. I had seen this before. I would try swapping it with another cylinder.

I would not suspect the timing is out. I would think if it was, it would not start quickly. Plus there would be a lot of smoke.

Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions.

Hi

Thankx for the reply. What is the fuel pressure / bar of the injector?

We have tested teh injector on a injector tester and the reading we got on the injector that came from no 4 cylinder was 0.5 bar.

We connected the injector of no4 cylinder outside the engine and we started the engine. It looked like it's not spraying like a injector we used to. It looks more like a water running out of a hosepipe.

We set the tappet clearance again, can there be a problem on the rockershaft. We saw that say on no 4 cylinder the intake valve is busy closing, but just before the intake valve closes, the exhaust valve is already opening. Must it be like that? first time we assembled a cat engine.

We are used to when it rocks on no 4 cylinder, both valves are closed.

We assembled the engine, but the customer didn't want us to recon the injector pump & injectors. He said it was done not long ago. You know some customers don't want to spent money and now you sitting with the problem.

Thanks for the information Rudolf.

Yes I know how customers are about not spending money. I deal with it every week unfortunately.

If the injector looks like running water out of a hose. That is not good. On the tester it should be between 400 and 750 psi. It sounds like you have either a bad nozzle or bad pump. I would swap nozzles and see i the problem follows this nozzle. That way you can be sure if the problem is the nozzle or the pump.

As far as the valve overlap, yes that is normal.

Let me know if you need more help or have more questions.

I will swop the injectors around and see what it does. Will let you know.

Thanks for your great experience you shared with me.

Regards

Rudolf

You are very welcome Rudolf. I am glad I could help.
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert