Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Out TB145 will start and run fine, but even with the lever…

Out TB145 will start and...
Out TB145 will start and run fine, but even with the lever lock down, none of the functions will work. I even bypassed the switch under the left lever arm by wiring the 2 wires together with a wiring nut and it still will not operate. Any ideas?
10/29/2012
Mechanic: Steve, Mechanic replied 9 years ago
Steve
Steve, Mechanic
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I may be able to help you out. I am assuming that this is a Takaeuchi TB145 Mini Excavator, is this correct?

Yes it is a mini ex

Ok, a couple of more questions, usually these machines may have a small dozer blade and a boom pivot function that swings just the boom and not the entire upper structure, these functions are usually not pilot operated and will work without the safety lever activated, do they work? and when you bypassed the safety switch with the key on did you hear a solenoid click anywhere?

OK, so when I touch the wires with the key on I do NOT here the solenoid clicking anywhere... also, both of the functions u listed (blade and side swing of boom) do work.

If this indicates the solenoid, where would I find it and is it possible to change in the field?

I'm afraid that I don't know exactly where to find the solenoid, It does sound like it's likely the problem though, it could still be the pilot hydraulic system, but let's check the pilot activation solenoid first. do you see a light electrical spark when you touch the wires together with the key on? if you do then the solenoid is likely still getting power. The solenoid should be able to be replaced in the field, if we can find it. On the hydraulic pump there will be another small hydraulic pump with a line that should go to a small oil filter, this is the pilot filter, from that filter the line should go to a manifold with several other lines and possibly some other solenoids, this is more that likely where the solenoid will be. I realize that on a mini ex that going to be like finding a needle in a pile of needles.

When I touch the wires together, I am not getting any type of spark or sound.

I tried to follow the lines as u indicated, but am not informed enough to know what to look for. I appreciate your responses and it does narrow it down greatly. Supposedly there is a service tech coming to take a look at it today, but I am not positive yet. Any idea on how to raise the cab to get to the engine area better? Might have a lot more luck if I could get it up.

I'm sorry, I'm not sure how to raise the cab, I have worked on a few Takaeuchi machines in the past but each one is a little different. It does sound to me like an electrical issue with the activation solenoid, I'm sorry that I couldn't be more help, Just Answer offers a 100% satisfaction guarantee, if you are not satisfied with the information that I gave you then please let me know and I will opt out of the question and you will not be charged for it, If I can do anything else for you please let me know, Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX

Steve
Steve, Mechanic