Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a D3c (believe to be a 1989 model year) Serial no. 5KG00741.

The problem is the only...
I have a D3c (believe to be a 1989 model year) Serial no. 5KG00741. The problem is the only way it steers is to push the pedal until the brakes do the steering. I did take off the access panels and check the steering valve rollers and that they move freely.I did not know how to check to see if the problem is in the valves or the clutches. I have just bought the machine so I do not know any back ground history.
9/23/2012
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 9 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician
The most common failure for these tractors is the steering valve roller.
It will always roll but, the bearings wear away and too much travel is lost. This cause the pressure to not become high enough to release the steering clutch.
The valves must be removed to actually see the problem and disassembled to replace the bearing.
Here are details about rebuilding the steering valves. It is an old book so pictures are not great.

Steering Clutch Control Valves

Let me know if you need more help on this. I will be glad to assist you.
Thanks for using JustAnswer!
Donnie

I removed the valve and everything looks good, disassembled
the valve and everything looked good. Reassambled and blew air into the pressure ports and moved the cam lever back and forth and the air changed between the ports.Where do I look next, I do have one pressure gauge that goes to 1000 psi.

You may have already recieved an anser back form me I can't remember if I hit reply or not, but I did check the bearing and rollor and they look good. What do I need to check next. I do have a pressure gauge that goes to 1000 psi. if needed.

The bearing cannot have any wear. It must be tight and no free play. It should roll easily though. If the cam has wear on it from the bearing, replace the cam. You may need to order it with the bearing or add a bearing if it is not assembled. Inspect all the linkage and make sure it has no loose pins or yokes. Below is the adjustment for the steering levers linkage.
Steering Clutch Control Group

If all the linkage is correct, test pressure at the slave cylinder.
Here is were to check the pressure.

graphic
This plug is under the fender toward the front of the tractor. It is above the final drive. You will need to clean out the area but, you should not need to remove the track. Loosen the track tension and place a bar in the sprocket, back the machine until the bar lifts the track high enough to access the plug. It will likely be rusted away so , a replacement will be needed.
Pressure must be above 275 psi and up to 375 max.
If pressure is too low when applying the steering pedal, check other side. If pressure is normal, seal has likely failed in the slave cylinder. (shown in adjustment above)

Let me know if you need more help, this should get you to your problem.
Thanks, Donnie

Do not want anymore help, parts cost almost 350.00 and still has the same problem. I'll have CAT come and fix it, instead of keeping on wasting money.

Did you check the pressure? Was it normal on both sides? If valves are working correctly and don't have wear, the pressure should be correct.
Linkage should never be adjusted and if it is not worn, the valve should work correctly. Did you check the linkage per the instructions I sent?
A test on the port will tell you if the pressure is available to release the clutch. If pressure is not to the slave cylinder, internal leakage could be the problem. I am assuming since one side is working, you have good pressure to the valves. The next place to look would be the slave cylinder.
The dealer will cost around $1000 a day and repairing the slave cylinder will take about two days. If you do the work, the seals will only cost $50. If the cylinder is damaged, a new one would cost around $400. Some parts are available as "Classic" and cost about half of new. Classic parts don't have the full warranty but can save you a bundle.

I hope I can help you more with this problem. A few pressure test with a good gauge will help find the problem. I am sorry the valve bearing did not fix the issue. I have do dozens of the valves and it is were I always start. It is the most common failure for a clutch that does not release. I have only had one slave cylinder seal failure and one tractor were the operator screwed with the linkage and got it out of adjustment.
I even keep a spare bearing on my truck for quick repairs when i am out on the road.

Please let me know if you would like more help. You can always request a refund from customer service if you still wish to cancel the question.
Regards, Donnie

Ok, I checked the pressure on the left side(sitting on the dozer) and it goes up to 200 and then immediately goes up to 390 psi. I have gone out and pushed dirt with it and have also noticed that it also has another problem on the left side, about 30 to 40% of the time when you push on the left steer and let off, the left track does not engage again you have to go back to idle or even put it neutral and then back into gear and then it is fine. Also if you try to push alot of dirt in 2nd gear it only seems like 1st, but as you get less dirt in front of it, it goes faster.I have also unhooked the left brake to see if that was any of my problems and nothing changed. The right side is not perfect for steering but at least it does kind of work,just slow at steering. I did not check the pressure on this side yet due to the plug being rust off. Sorry about the last enty. I was not very happy about spending the money and not fixing the problem.Hopefully we can get this fixed.

Thanks,

Ed

Thanks for the reply, I am always glad to help anyway I can. I understand your frustration and it sounds like this is becoming a serious problem.

Does pressure stay on the steering clutch pressure tap even after releasing the pedal?

If the steering valve is sticking internally, this could keep pressure on the steering clutch, holding it released.

If the oil is not draining from the steering clutch slave cylinder when you release the pedal, it is possible a hose could be damaged internally and block flow from the steering control valve.

I have seen a tractor were the lines got crossed during a repair but, this would be a constant problem. Since your problem is intermittent, I would not think you have a crossed line. I do have a picture for you to double check the line routing.

The inside rear lines are the pressure supply hoses to the valve from the transmission. The inside front lines are the drain hoses from the valve to the transmission. These lines have a tee fitting to connect to the same port on each valve. The single line on the outside of each valve is to the respective steering clutch slave cylinder.

Please verify yours is correct and should appear as in the image below. If the return lines are cracked or pinched, remove them to inspect for internal damage. Check for free flow through them to be sure it is not restricting flow and will drain the oil from the steering valves.

graphic

Steering Control Linkage
(Top View-5KG, 1PJ Shown) (1) Left
side steering clutch control valve. (2) Tube assembly. (3) Cam assembly. (4)
Rod. (5) Hose assembly (pressure). (6) Hose assembly (return). (7) Right side
steering clutch control valve. (8) Tube assembly. (9) Cam assembly. (10)
Rod.

The oil supply for the steering clutch operation comes from the power train
hydraulic system through hose (5) and another hose assembly to passage (13) in
both the right and left steering clutch control valves (1) and (7).

When the left pedal is pushed, rod (4) moves forward. The movement of rod (4)
will cause cam assembly (3) to move. When cam assembly (3) moves, it makes
contact with roller (17) on valve (1). Roller (17) is fastened to stem (16). The
movement of cam assembly (3) will push stem (16) to the left. As stem (16) moves
to the left, it will cause spring (15) to push spool (12) to the left against
the force of spring (11). As spool (12) moves to the left, spool (12) closes the
opening between outlet (14) and drain (19). Further movement of spool (12) to
the left will open a passage and allow pressure oil from the transmission
hydraulic system to flow from inlet passage (13) to outlet passage (14). Outlet
passage (14) is connected to tube assembly (2). Tube assembly (2) is connected
to the steering clutch cylinder on the left hand side of the machine.
graphic

When the right pedal is pushed, rod (10) moves forward. The movement of rod
(10) will cause cam assembly (9) to move. When cam assembly (9) moves, it makes
contact with roller (17) on valve (7). Roller (17) is fastened to stem (16). The
passage (14) is connected to tube assembly (8). Tube assembly (8) is connected
to the steering clutch cylinder on the right hand side of the machine.

When either of the pedals are released, the linkage will return to its
original position. The cam assembly will move away from the roller and stem.
Spring (11) will push the spool to the right and stop the flow of pressure oil
to the steering clutch cylinder. After the inlet passage has been closed, the
oil in the cylinder is allowed to go to drain through hose assembly (6). The
return oil goes back into the reservoir in the transmission.

The operation of both steering clutch control valves are the same.
*

The information above is to be sure the problem is not hydraulic. As long as the oil flow will drain from the slave cylinder, the steering clutch should engage completely.

*

The only thing that I can see that would cause both problems of not releasing and not engaging is, damage to the steering clutch plates. Bent or warped plates and discs can cause a steering clutch to drag and keep driving and then cause it to have problems engaging to drive the tractor (slipping).

This would also cause the tractor to not drive straight, it will likely have a slight turn to the left all the time (or when the clutch is slipping).

This is a torque convertor drive transmission. The convertor will not lock solid at any time and when a load is place on the blade it will loose speed. The rpm should not fall below 1600 RPM and you will likely see the transmission oil temperature rise if you hold in this stall condition for more the thirty seconds.This can damage the convertor so , allow the transmission oil time to cool down.

If you had a direct drive before or any tractor with a flywheel clutch, this tractor is very different. Torque convertor slip is power multiplication. Speed will drop but, push power is increased.

I hope this will help you find the problem, it is hard to tell what it could be in a few short questions. I will be glad to answer any questions you may have. Feel free to ask as many as you need so, I can help you with this issue.

Thanks, Donnie

The pressure drops off as soon as you release the pedal.( I tried it many times and it always dropped right off. ) The hoses are also correct, so It looks like I will have a winter project. Could you send me instructions on disassembling to the clutches and the brakes, just so I'm not going into this blind. Also how to remove and rebuild the clutches and if need be replacing the brakes and adjusting them.

Thanks for your help,

Ed

Yes, this can be a very involved project. Tooling to rebuild steering clutch will cost allot depending on the shop equipment you already have. Some owners will remove the clutch and send it to the dealer for rebuild. Always ask for an estimate of repair and to save the old parts for you.

Here is the information you are looking for.

Steering clutch removal

*

Rebuilding clutch.

*

Clutch spec's

*

Brake adjustment

*

This should get you on your way. I like these little tractors, it is amazing to see how much work they can do.

Good Luck and thanks for using JustAnswer! Donnie

-

-

Please remember to rate my answer to close this question.

catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician