Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a cat 330cl excavator. engine runs fine at idle and…

Customer Question
I have a cat 330cl...
I have a cat 330cl excavator. engine runs fine at idle and high idle, but when under a load at high idle it sounds like it has a miss or is loaping... i calibrated the powershift selenoid, did cylinder cut out test, as well as many other tests and everything checked out fine. any ideas???
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
9/22/2012
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 10 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

I would start by checking fuel pressure and may monitoring it with a mechanical gauge for a period of time. Also monitor the heui pump pressure to see if it is dropping out.

Some problems I have had are from failed lift pumps and fuel lines that were changed and created restrictions.

*

Install a tee at the point were fuel enters the head (front of engine) and monitor pressure while working. Do not rely on the ECM sensor. It is located up stream and will be wrong if restriction is down stream.

Install a sight glass in the return line and watch for bubbles. If bubbles fill the glass under load, an injector seat is leaking combustion gases into the fuel system.

*

Heui pumps have had some trouble. If oil changes are not performed on schedule, the pump will wear out early and not produce correct pressures.

*

Make sure trim files are correct. Some people will swap injectors around but not update trim files. Even new injectors need trim files updated. After 100 hours of operation, a wrong trim file can cause an engine to run rough under load. You would not be able to perform cylinder cutout test if files were not programmed but, that does not mean the injectors have not been swapped.

*

If you need more help, please include your serial number with your reply and let me know what you found with the testing. Include as much detail as you can about what you have done so far.

Thanks, Donnie.

ok, well i hooked a mechanical gauge up to the fuel line at the front of the head and monitored it while at idle and high idle while under load and the readings were right in range of what they are suposed to be.

The services we do on this piece of equipment are every 250hrs and they are on time and to cats stipulations.

As far as injectors, we have had this excavator for over a year and havnt put any in it, and like i said i was able to do a cylinder cut out test without any problems.

I have noticed that when the machine is first started up and let run for a few minutes to build oil pressure and get moving and working, it does not act up under load and runs fine, never misses until oil temp and engine temp are up. Also when toggle switch under arm rest is flipped into manual and machine is reved up manually the problem isnt very detectable, it doesnt miss like it does in the auto mode where you use the turn dial to throttle up the machine...

I am still stumped...the serial # for this machine is cya01104, if you have any other ideas or tests that could be ran it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the reply and serial number.

I am assuming the fuel pressures were about 60 psi at low idle and 80 psi at high idle.

What were HEUI pressures? Have you tried test HEUI pressure while the misfire is present? Did the misfire change when you changed actuation pressure?

*

How is the boost pressure? Have you inspected the ATAAC lines and clamps for leaks? Is the turbo outlet dry?

*

You said you have had this machine for a year, are you the original owner? How many hours are on the machine/engine? Did you verify the trim file/codes are correct? Have you performed a valve lash adjustment?

*

Are you certain the engine is misfiring? I have had a couple of 330C and 345C were the complaint was engine running rough but, the problem was a fan drive vibration.

The problem was only present when the engine is hot because the fan does not turn up to speed until engine is hot.

Use ET to set fan speed to high when engine is cold to see if it is the problem or disconnect the solenoid on the fan pump. If you do trace the problem to the fan, the problem is in the fan drive bearings and will need a rebuild. NOTE: a small vibration is hard to eliminate and would not be worth the time and effort to rebuild the fan drive. As cooler weather is coming, the operator will not be felling the problem as much anyway.

*

Many of the C9 misfiring problems end up being injectors. This is common when the engine has over 7500 hours. It is allot of expense if the misfire is small. I would still wait until it is the last thing to try before installing injectors.

*

Let me know what you find and if I can help you further. I will be glad to assist anyway I can.