Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a Case 480F loader that wont stay running more than…

I have a Case 480F...
I have a Case 480F loader that won't stay running more than about 15 seconds. I've replaced the primer pump and bled the injectors. Sometimes, over the 15 seconds or so that it runs, it will idle up and down from about 1000rpm to whatever I set the throttle to, say 1500rpm. Then it acts like it's starving for fuel, chugs a bit then quits. I can often start it right back up and it will run anywhere from 3-15 seconds or so.
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/21/2012
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 10 years ago
Dan, Technician

HeavyEquipmentTech :

Hi my name isXXXXX will try to help. Install a clear hose or sight glass between your tank and pump to monitor for air bubbles. Check your lines for restrictions, loose connections, leaks, dry rot or cracking, etc. Any of these could cause the symptoms you mentioned. Try running from a separate fuel container to see if the problem goes away. Then you will know it is either bad fuel lines/filter housing or a restriction in your tank/lines. I hope this helps. Let me know if you need further assistance.

Customer:

I don't think this is it. When I installed the primer pump the tank line ran freely as I tried to capture it in a bucket. Also, the lines are all metal tubes so I don't think it's anything before the fuel filter. There is plenty of fuel getting as far as the filter. It doesn't run long enough to use up all of the fuel in the fuel lines. What symptoms would a clog injector show? Is there any place after the fuel filter where air could be getting in?

HeavyEquipmentTech :

Ok thanks for the update. Check for power at your fuel shut off when this problem occurs to be sure you are not loosing power to your solenoid to hold the pump open for fuel. Also check your return line fitting (check valve) on the pump to be sure it is not plugged with debris as this could cause the shut down you are experiencing. It causes pressure to build inside the pump and kills engine.

Customer:

thanks much. this is just the type of help I was hoping for.

Dan, Technician