Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a 1995 Hitachi Excavator ex120. It has a 4 position…

Customer Question
I have a 1995 Hitachi...
I have a 1995 Hitachi Excavator ex120. It has a 4 position pattern changer. I need to switch it from CAT or SAE to John Deere controls. How do I do that?
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
9/16/2012
Mechanic: dieseldan55, Mechanic replied 10 years ago
dieseldan55
dieseldan55, Mechanic
dieseldan55 :

Normally on theses type of valves, there is a locking pin you will need to pull or unscrew to allow the valve to rotate. Most of these valve will only have two positions, so whichever position your in now, just rotate the valve to the oposite position. Then try the controls to make sure it is what your looking for. If you can send a photo it would help me to determine the style of valve you have. Thanks, Dan

JACUSTOMER-bw6pw2ow- :

I understand that I can rotate to the US position, but this option is for CAT controls. I asked for directions on how to switch it from CAT to John Deere controls and the pattern changer doesn't give you that option. I need to switch pilot hoses on the valve body to get to John Deere controls. I need to know which hoses to switch. I've switched the ones from the main boom to the stick, which should have done it, but it changed more than those two functions. So far, my question hasn't been answered. Can you help? It is a grey market machine.

dieseldan55 :

Hi thanks for the reply back. I was responding to the way you asked your question, sorry your not happy with my response. Let me try to help the best I can not being with you at the machine. Since I don't have a schematic details for this machine my suggestion is to find which hose on the valve controls what and mark them. You can do this in a couple of ways. One is to physically trace the hose ends to the MCV and see which spool they control. Another opton is to disconnect the servo lines at the valve one at a time. Try function and whichever one doesn't work then that hose disconnected is mark for that circut. Do that to the hoses on the valve and then make your swaps to get your desired effect. Definitly mark all hoses in original position first, it can be confusing down the road if you need to put machine back in the same condition. If you are still unhappy with this answer just let me know and I will opt out for another expert to assist. There is no reason to start a response back with pooor service when I haven't been given a chance to assist you. Thanks for the time, Dan.