Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

We have a komatsupc50uu that I ran out of fuel. I refuelled…

We have a komatsupc50uu that...
We have a komatsupc50uu that I ran out of fuel. I refuelled it, bled the lines but it won't restart.
9/6/2012
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 10 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

koboma :

You bled the air out up to the injection pump? Did you bleed the injection lines to the injectors?

koboma :

Loosen the high pressure injection lines at the nozzles, crank engine until fuel is squirting out, tighten the lines and start the engine.

koboma :

??

Customer: There are three lines that I assume are the injectors. I bled those lines one at a time. We cranked the engine didn't work.
koboma :

The injectors lines will get air locked and will not inject the fuel until the air is bled from the high pressure lines.

koboma :

Did you open them at the injectors?

koboma :

Did you get fuel out of the lines?

Customer: I think so so it's where the lines go into the engine. Fuel came out of them. It didn't spray out but a bit did.
koboma :

Did you bled , starting at the fuel filter, filling it and then opening the bleeder at the injection pump , and finally the injector lines? You have to start at the filter and work up.

koboma :

It will not self bleed.

Customer: I don't know the difference between an injector pump and injector lines.
koboma :

The injector pump is the piece the high pressure lines originate from.

Customer: I know nothing about engines.we changed the fuel filter and filled it up with fuel then went back to what I think are injectors.
koboma :

You know where the primer pump is I assume? Has a lever on the side that you manually pump to pump fuel in the system?

koboma :

Or could be a primer ball on top of the fuel filter?

Customer: No I don't know where it is and we dont have a manual.
Customer: The fuel filter seems to be the top of the system. What do you mean start there and work up?
koboma :

You have to get the air out of the filter, then you have to get air out of the injection pump and finally you have to get the air from the injection lines. There should be a manual pump to prime the fuel system, located between the water separator and the fuel filter.

koboma :

If the tank is higher than the injection pump, you might just need to open the bleed screw at the injection pump inlet, let the air out, then bleed the injector lines.

Customer: Ok, and it would look like a handle or a ball on top of the filter? Sorry it is really all foreign to me to look at an engine.
koboma :

Yes, typical transfer pump will look like that.

Customer: Ok I'll look at it tomorrow. Do you pump it a few times?
koboma :

You will open the bleed screw at the injection pump and pump it till you only get fuel out. Then close the bleed screw at the injection pump. and open the high pressure lines to the injectors, You will now crank engine until you have fuel squirting from the injection lines, then tighten the lines and the engine will start!

koboma :

ok?

Customer: Ok sounds good so I will just have to find the injector pump. If I follow the lines from the filter it will go there? Is it possible junk from the fuel tank ran into the lines, my dadsaid we could try blowing them with air back from the filter.
koboma :

Thank you.

koboma :

its possible but I suspect you just need to bleed the lines, starting at the filter, then the injection pump. Just follow the fuel line, you can;t go wrong!

Customer: Ok thanks I'll try that tomorrow. I guess that's it until I try it. Thanks.
koboma :

ok

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician