Dan, Technician
Experience:  17+ yrs. shop and field experience with all major brands of heavy equipment and trucks - 1995 WyoTech graduate.
65405794

I have a Case 1845c skidsteer (JAF0275854) that loses power

Customer Question

I have a Case 1845c skidsteer (JAF0275854) that loses power within about a minute of running after it is started. The engine starts running rough, and sputters. The motor does not stall, but has no power. This happens under a load or not and seems like a fuel issue. We have cleaned the fuel tank, changed the fuel filter and fuel line from tank to filter. Drained fuel from tank and checked flow, fuel ran steady from shut off valve and no contaminants were visable. We even pulled off the gas cap thinking it wasn't venting right.... no change. The only fuel filter in the system is labled "secondary filter" no other one exists. Checked for water or debris when I emptied the old filter through a towel, and none was found. At this point I am confident fuel is getting to the filter unrestricted. Haven't a clue where to check next. The air filter has been cleaned since this problem started. This problem started while moving materials, and has not had an issue like this before.
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.

HeavyEquipmentTech :

Hi my name is Dan... I will try to help... First install a clear hose between your tank and fule pump and monitor for air bubbles. If found then you are sucking in air from somewhere. could be dry rotted hoses, loose clamped connections, poor filter housing gaskets, etc. Also try running from a seperate container to see if anything changes. If no air bubbles are found and you have constant flow of fuel while monitoring your sight guage ( clear hose) then your problem is most likely a worn/tired injection pump. I hope this helps.... Let me know if you need further assistance....Thanks for using JA