Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Split the 555B , you were right, pulled shuttle clutch pack…

Split the 555B , you...
Split the 555B , you were right, pulled shuttle clutch pack and reverse had been hot and clutch material was fried, replaced clutches and steel plates, new seals on reverse piston, forward looked fine, air checked and everything went back fine, tested tractor in yard by back dragging with bucket, held fine, took it out on highway to test and get good and warm, did fine came back in yard , stopped switched to lower gear and now ALL i have is reverse, put in first and selector in neutral and it will back up, put shuttle in any position and it will back up, start tractor with gear box in neutral and leave shuttle in neutral and slowly try to put in first and will grind, pulled fuel tank and checked valve operation and linkage pravel seems fine . when we pulled trans fluid it was milk, yet pressure tested radiator and does not bleed down pressure, did we fry the clutch pac and have it locked in reverse?
7/25/2012
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 10 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

koboma :

So reverse is not releasing. Can just be debris in the clutch pack or piston can be stuck. I would check the f/r block on top of the torque converter before splitting again!

koboma :

Or it looks like you might have already did that!

koboma :

Check reverse piston travel, might be moving too far and hanging.

pulled block and valve are free, how do u check piston travel? Acts just like clutch pack is engauged and will not release, washed everything out with diesel and going to refill, what is correct oil type? Any way u know of to get reverse clutch pack to release? Also I did pull valve body on top and air checked and valves are not ''loose'' but air does come thru more than I thought it should, not scarred etc, maybey I am just used to cat/komatsu etc. had end plate off valve body when I air checked so was looking down side of piston in valve body,
You have to measure piston travel or the clutch pack clearance. If the pack has too much clearance, the piston can move too far and stick. There is no way to unstick it without disassembly.
kind of oil?
Ford New Holland 134 is the recommended today. It is a quality hytrans fluid.
hyd trans same as hyd ?
Yes, same fluid. Also if the clutch pack has too much clearance, add an extra steel plate to take up the clearance.
Split tractor and reverse clutches are burnt worse than they were when it slipped, fried together, going to check cooler for flow, any other places to watch? clutch pack travel, seal rings and bushing, tractor came to us six months ago with front seal pouring, we split put in seal, sent out , stayed out 3 months with daily use of 2-3 hours came back with the reverse fried issue, now still has the same trouble, has not had this much fun in quite awhile, thanks
!!Air check the clutches before reassembly, be sure the apply and release!
ser.# C744402 which should make it past 6/85 on parts, u have a parts diagram on the steel sealing rings and clutch plates etc?
http://partstore.agriculture.newholland.com/us/parts-search.html?csid=cdceffbf1033b292de68e760cf01a095&sl=EN¤cy=#mr3998ar437816

http: u sent not lit up- ie- not highlighted ???

http://partstore.agriculture.newholland.com/us/parts-search.html?csid=51ff89bacdac5fc78303f12cb889f7a9&sl=EN&currency=#epc::model_find
same thing, can not click on the link u sent, will not light up, mouse over and nothing,
http://partstore.agriculture.newholland.com/us/parts-search.html?

When you pull the clutch pack off the shaft you have steel sealing ring and on each side of the sealing ring is a red neoprene like ring, my reverse ring is broken and there are no neoprene ring on each side of reverse sealing ring, are there suppose to be? have looken at diagram [blurry] and need the part numbers I need for all the sealing rings that go inside the shuttle drum. thanks

With serial number breaks on the parts, I think you need to go to the dealer and let them determine what seals you need. I would hesitate to pick numbers and then find out they are wrong. Go with the dealer and not this old man on the correct part numbers! sorry. With a groove for the seals, I think you need the neoprene seals for both locations.
ok thanks, XXXXX XXXXX old man aspect'
Ok, thanks.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician