Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Hi! There is a lot spill of grease from the swing motor

Hi! There is a lot...
Hi!

There is a lot spill of grease from the swing motor on our Volvo EC210LC Excavator (serial no. 04895). It's been running 10090 hours, but only 95 hours since last full service. I guess the seals are somehow blown out? The cover/lid where you fill grease was totally covered with grease, maybe the service technician has overfilled? Anyway, how severe is this? Is it possible to fix this without parting the machine?

Best regards, XXXXX XXXXX
7/14/2012
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 10 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician
I have not worked on Volvo machines but, when this happens on Cat's, I suspect a failed motor.
If motor is bad, pressure will blow seal and force out swing drive oil.
You could lift off the motor, leaving the lines connected and then run machine to see if it is the source off oil in the drive.
If case drain flow is connect together to other motors, all motors should be check for high case drain pressure. High case drain pressure from travel motors has blown seals in swing motors on Cat excavators.
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician