Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

re new holland lx665 turbo skid steer i have a 1997 new

Customer Question
re new holland lx665 turbo...
re new holland lx665 turbo skid steer i have a 1997 new holland skid steer, it has a problem starting, ill explain, when it is cold, lets room temp, it will only start , with , the throttle wide open , and takes , a great deal, of cranking , and is smoking alot , and when it starts , it runs only at high speed if u idle it, it will die, but if u run it at half throttle , for a few minutes , then it will idle, once its warmed , up it will start, up fine , but let it sit over night, and its the same , hard to start again, if u plug in the block heater, for a couple of hours, it starts , right away, at idle, there is no lack of power, no oil consumption, no excessive exhaust , smoke, i have changed the fuel pump, new filters, new injectors, new glow plugs, compression , test 350 per cylinder, also note , when i put new glow , plugs in , it starts very quickly, but the glow plugs , burn out after a couple of uses, and checked , they r 12volt glow plugs, and thats , all that that there r getting , is 12 volts, the real stumper , is how it starts , so nicely, when the block heater is plugged in, but should , not have to , in the summer months, could really use some advise
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
6/17/2012
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 10 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
You figured it out and then pasted over the problem! You stated it starts good with new glow plugs, but they quickly burn out. The problem is they do not shut off. The glow plugs should only be on for a few seconds, about 15 seconds at a time. The voltage has to be removed from them or they will burn up. They are not designed to have voltage at all times, only for short period to warm up the cylinder and fuel spray. In the fuse panel, there are tow relays, one is the starter relay, the other is the preheat relay. This relay can be stuck, keeping power to the glow plug circuit. That is what I would check. Find the power problem to the circuit, then replace the glow plugs and I think the problem will be solved. Let me know. Thank you.