Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have an older John deere 310a backhoe. It has always started…

Customer Question
I have an older John...
I have an older John deere 310a backhoe. It has always started and worked well since I bought it 2 yrs ago. I was having problems with sluggish controls of backhoe and front bucket. Outriggers worked fast, everything else was slow. I could only move one function at a time. Nothing was jerking through, just slow. I was losing alot of hydraulic fluid. I found 2 major leaks on backhoe side where steel block feeds several hydraulic lines. I pulled lines and put in new o rings. The fluid that came out was a little cloudy so I thought I should do all the maintenance on this right now. I will need all your suggestions. I left the lines slightly loose to try and purge air out of lines after I started it. Then I tried to start it and it turned over very slowly. So I thought I ran it out of diesel fuel. I filled it up, but when I tried to purge fuel lines while it turned over, it would suddenly turn over and then die. Seems to not turn over fast enough to start the tractor. So I charged battery and it did the same thing. Would turn over a couple of times and stop. So I pulled battery and had it checked out. It checked out good. I cleaned terminals and put battery back in and it did the same thing. So I pulled the starter and had that checked. It checked out fine. Now I need help.
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
5/18/2012
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 10 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

koboma :

The hydraulics are loading up the engine. Check all the levers and be sure all are in neutral. Then if they are , when trying to start, work each lever to see if youy can find which one is causing the engine to load up.

koboma :

Could the hydraulic lines you replaced got on the wrong connection? If the oil is not free to flow from pump back to the return, it will load the pump, make engine turn too slow to crank.

koboma :

Let me know. Thank you.

Customer:

Backhoe is in neutral, but I suppose I could have got lines wrong. I hope not. Boy, that would be dumb. I had to take some lines off to get to the other ones. I should have marked them. Is there a picture of how they r supposed to go off that block? I also need to know another dumb question. How do I set and release the break? Also, there is a foot switch on right side of backhoe. What is that for? Thanks for your info! Wisdom is worth more than money, and I will reward you for yours! Thanks again!

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servlet/com.deere.u90490.partscatalog.view.servlets.HomePageServlet_Alt