Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

john deere 690d with slow hydraulics. approx. 3700 hours. track…

john deere 690d with slow...
john deere 690d with slow hydraulics. approx. 3700 hours. track speed may be slow. Went and operated unit an hour ago. Everything seemed to work okay except that the track speed/strength seemed weak. My mother-in-law with a walker can almost outrun it. Are they supposed to be that slow? Hydraulic fluid did not smell burned. Rotated quickly. I really do not have an prior experience to compare it to. Any help/info woul be appreciated. Thanks
5/2/2012
Mechanic: Michelle-mod, Moderator replied 10 years ago
Michelle-mod
Michelle-mod, Moderator

Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find a Professional to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Hi Michelle,

I have not recieved an answer to my question @ this time. Please expidite the process so that I can make a more informed decision tomorrow.

Thanks for your help

Jeremy

Sometimes, finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We’ll be in touch again shortly.

Mechanic: Walt-admin,
 replied 10 years ago
Walt-admin
Thank you for your patience, your business is very important to us, we are waiting on the Professional with the right expertise to come online. Feel free to let us know if you would like us to continue searching for an Professional or if you would like us to close your question. Thank you for your understanding!
Hi again
Still no answer? So far my "satisfaction" is closer to "0"
The only "expert" I have communicated with is a "mediator". I paid for a heavy equipement expert.
Please provide the service I am paying for.
Thank you,
Jeremy
Relist: Other.
No answer given x2 days.
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 10 years ago
Dan, Technician
Hi my name isXXXXX will try to help. You will have 2 travel speed switches at your main control valve. Check your wiring in the electrical circuit to these switches. If the electrical checks out ok then 9 times out of 10 the rotary manifold ( swivel seals) are what causes travel problems on excavators. This manifold is what allows your machine to swing 360 degrees and is located behind the base of the boom with your travel lines running into it. When the seals wear you loose pressure and flow to your travel motors as the pressure bypasses within the manifold. The symptoms usually are that all other hydraulics are strong other than travel and sometimes one travel motor will stop or fight against the other due to the bypass of pressure. To test your travel motor you will need to be sure your getting full pressure from your rotary manifold first ( replace your seals) then remove the inner guard to access your travel motor lines. One low pressure line will be your case drain, two high pressure lines, and a brake signal line. Remove and cap the case drain hose, install a hose from the fitting off the drive motor and run it into a bucket. At an idle with the track pinned at the sprocket so it will not move, move the travel lever. If the oil shoots under high pressure that will shoot to the other track than your drive motor has excessive leakage and is bad. If it leaks oil out slowly then it is normal case drain oil. Always check your hydraulic return filter and pilot filter for signs of fine metal and debris that would indicate a component failure and if ever found, flush the entire system thoroughly after the failed component is replaced. Let me know if you need further assistance. Thanks for using JA
Dan, Technician