Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Hello there, Komatsu pc27r-8 serial No F10914 Machine began…

Customer Question
Hello there, Komatsu pc27r-8 serial No...
Hello there,
Komatsu pc27r-8 serial No F10914
Machine began to perform slower and to stall the engine. Main relief valve stripped and found to have pieces of brass holding it open. Pump taken off and refurbished as the piston slipper pads were breaking up. Refurbished pump now fitted but upon start-up (engine tick over) we have 20 bar for 30 secs and then it rises to 210 bar and drags the engine down with no valve operations. Also there is the distinct whistling noise of oil passing somewhere in the block. At a loss as to the possible cause as usually work on industrial hydraulics systems. Should the oil flow to tank without any valves being operated? System has not been revved and has only ran for approx 1 min in total.
Any feedback will be much appreciated.
Many thanks,

Shaun Yates
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
3/24/2012
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 10 years ago
Dan, Technician

HeavyEquipmentTech :

Hi my name is Dan. Anytime you have a hydraulic pump failure, your hydraulic system has to be flushed. If you had the pieces of metal through your system you described then you need to start pulling lines at your valves and components in search for more debris and damage from the debris going through your system. Once you have flushed out the larger debris/metal and all your valves are clean and work properly then run a higher micron flushing element in your system to flush out the smaller debris. I hope this helps. Thanks for using JA

JACUSTOMER-auo30w3o- :

Hi Dan,

JACUSTOMER-auo30w3o- :

Hi Dan, I appreciate that the system needs flushing, as is the case after all pump failures, and it has been in a fashion (main suction line, reservoir) but my question as to whether or not the fluid should run thru the system off load with no valves operated still remains unanswered. I think a circuit diagram is going to be useful as there is not one with the machine. Thanks again

HeavyEquipmentTech :

Ok to answer your question with further detail some pieces from your hydraulic pump are most likely stuffed into the spools on your main control valve ( Remove all hoses one by one and inspect.... If you find a spool stuffed full of brass/ debris then clean it out and thoroughly inspect that spool for damage. It is likely that this brass/ debris is hangind open some of the valves in your hydraulic system and causing the problems you are having. ). With a hydraulic pump failure such as yours it is not uncommon to find metal and debris throughout all your valves, your travel motors, hydraulic cylinders, etc. And it will constantly create further damage of your system components if left in the system and even your new pump as your system oil is always circulating back to tank through your return filter.