Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and Road Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Construction and Road Equipment

Is there just one fuel pump on a case 1840 skidsteer?

3/18/2012
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

koboma :

Is this the older model engine that has a fuel shutoff solenoid in the bottom of the injection pump? A single wire solenoid, that has to click open when the key is turned on. Requires battery voltage to open the fuel to the injectors. Is it working? Or later engine with an external solenoid that moves the linkage?

Customer:

Serial # XXXXX I can go find a date on the machine if needed. I don't see any moving linkage when key is turned on.

koboma :

Look on the bottom of the injection pump. Do you see a small solenoid and single wire?

Customer:

I'll go check. Back in a few minutes.

koboma :

ok.

Customer:

OK I checked for a wire under the injection pump but I only see one wire which has a plug in end that appears to go to a sensor in the block underneath the injection pump. No other wires. Also Product ID # XXXXX ( if that helps ) I took a few pics of the injection pump as well, I can send those if ypou need them.

koboma :

Use the paperclip Icon above the typing bar if you need to send the pictures.

Customer:

Full Size Image

koboma :

Top of pump, does not show anything else.?? Did you look at my diagram?

Customer:

I looked at your diagram. There is a second lever you can just see on the left side of my pic which I do not see on diagram.

koboma :

Does your pump have the solenoid? Can be mounted in different place, but will be on the pump housing. This is the only thing that can keep injectors from getting fuel through the pump.

Customer:

Is it obvious to see from the outside? Or is this an internal solenoid?

koboma :

External, about two inches long. Screws into the pump housing.

Customer:

I can't see any external solenoid. Would there be a wire going to it? Also managed to get a tag number off of the gear end housing:

Customer:

It reads: Component / Attachment Part # XXXXX 4-390 45288167

koboma :

That are the engine numbers. You have the 4-390 engine.

koboma :

I assume this engine kills with the key.?? The solenoid should look similar to this one.

Customer:

Yes the engine shuts off with the key

Customer:

What is the position of this solenoid, under the pump housing or on top?

koboma :

shows under the pump in the diagram. Here is what the newer models have.

koboma :

external, and move the linkage.

koboma :

Did you find the problem??

Customer:

Hi again, I can see the solenoid clearly using a inspection camera. Should the solenoid not have a wire going to it?

Customer:

I have a broken wire not far from the solenoid. Could this be the problem? I expected to see a wire going to the solenoid.

Yes, without power it stays closed. And you get no fuel to the injectors.
Check the wire to see if it has power when the key is turned on, if it does, that is it!
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
I assume that was it?
Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician