When I turn on my computer, the screen turns grey and the…

Customer Question
When I turn on...

When I turn on my computer, the screen turns grey and the curser works, but it will not open the login screen

Technician's Assistant: What exactly are you having trouble accessing?

The login screen - nothing works but the curser on a dark grey screen

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your computer? And the Operating System (OS)?

Ideapad 110 - Windows OS

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your computer? What have you tried so far?

It worked fine this morning. This afternoon it would not start. I’ve tried holding the F8 key at startup, the F4 key at startup, and repeatedly hitting the shift key

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

That’s it

Submitted: 14 days ago.Category: Computer
8/5/2018
Tech Support Specialist: Dan, Computer Support Specialist replied 14 days ago
Dan, Computer Support Specialist

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer, I look forward to assisting you today. Does your laptop have a removable battery?

Customer reply replied 14 days ago
I can’t access it if it does. It’s a 17” Lenovo ideapad 110 from 2017.

You may disregard the Premium Service Offer for Remote Support. That is an automated popup initiated by the web site.

Customer reply replied 14 days ago
How are you going to access remotely if it won’t even turn on?

Okay. Press and hold the power button until it shuts down, then let it sit for about a minute. Power it back up and see if it will start normally. As I already indicated, you can just disregard that.

Customer reply replied 14 days ago
I’ve already done that several times along with holding the F8 key while starting and the F4 key while starting. I’ve also hit the “shift” key repeatedly. (Saw that online - didn’t work)

Did this happen after an update or installation of new software?

Customer reply replied 14 days ago
I had not turned it on for a while (couple of months). Yesterday, after turning it on, it went through the regular Windows updates. It worked fine. It worked fine this morning. This afternoon when I powered it on, I got nothing.

Do you have any external devices connected?

Customer reply replied 14 days ago
Wireless mouse.

How long have you let it sit like that, and do you have the power supply connected?

Customer reply replied 14 days ago
About 1 1/2 hours - we’ve been troubleshooting online and trying different things. I just unplugged power supply a couple of minutes ago.

Okay. See if you can locate the battery if it is removable. If not, you may need to try to reset it.

Customer reply replied 14 days ago
I think I know where the battery is, but I can’t get into it. How do I reset it? (I’ve already done Control-alt-delete several times)

Most ideapads have a reset button inside a small hole. Check either side for that.

Customer reply replied 14 days ago
Ok - How long do I hold down the reset?
Customer reply replied 14 days ago
I held it in for over 30 seconds - nothing happened

First you need to power the laptop off. Then press and hold the reset button until the computer powers back on. When it does, release the button.

Customer reply replied 14 days ago
OK - powered off - pressed the reset button for over a minute - nothing happened

Have you by chance changed out the hard drive from the original?

Customer reply replied 14 days ago
No, it’s all original - only had it 15 months

Try connecting the power supply and try again. Make sure it is powered off before you start.

Customer reply replied 14 days ago
OK - it is off - plugged in power cord - pressed reset button for 1 1/2 minutes - still nothing happening
Customer reply replied 14 days ago
Are you still there??
Customer reply replied 14 days ago
I want to cancel - I have already been charged $47 and have not heard from “Dan” in over 1/2 an hour!! Please refund the second charge ($42) - I did not agree to more than the original $5 charge. It has taken Dan too much time between questions to answer. I’ve been on here for over 1 1/2 hours and not much has happened in that time.