Yesterday I had a message that my computer was locked due to…

Yesterday I had a...

Yesterday I had a message that my computer was locked due to some outside source using my IP address. i called the number and they said they were microsoft. They go by the name of Aurica Electronics. Is this a scam just to get money or are they a contractor used by Microsoft. I was told that my system had a trojan and other virus... Read full answer

Yesterday I had a message that my computer was locked due to some outside source using my IP address. i called the number and they said they were microsoft. They go by the name of Aurica Electronics. Is this a scam just to get money or are they a contractor used by Microsoft. I was told that my system had a trojan and other virus due to this activity. thank you.

Technician's Assistant: Which Microsoft product do you have?

10

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your Microsoft software?

I could not do anything with it and they supposedly "fixed" it for $299.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Software Expert to know before I connect you?

No that is it.

Answered in 1 minute by:
8/4/2018
Wes
Wes, Consultant

Hello and welcome to Just Answer, an independent paid-support site. My name is ***** ***** I'll be advising you today.

Thank you. I need to know about this company and if they are a scam.

The absolutely are a scam. This company is not authorized by Microsoft. They are part of a growing number of “tech support scams” targeting consumers with the intent of scaring them into contacting grey-market companies who claim to be fixing a problem which doesn’t actually exist. Microsoft will NEVER send you unsolicited e-mail messages or make unsolicited phone calls to request payment or offer to fix your computer.

The scammers will often make use of loose language to make you think they are employees of major companies like Google, Microsoft, Apple, Dell, etc. These scams typically make urgent claims like “your computer is infected or isn’t safe for financial transactions” or “your Windows License is “Expiring”. Whatever the message, it will urge you to take immediate sometimes drastic action, attempting to trick you into acting before you’ve had time to consider the validity of the claim. Provided you don’t follow the instructions you’ve been given by the scammers, you don’t need to take any action other than to ignore the message, delete, the e-mail, hang up the phone, etc.

You can find out more about the Microsoft-specific scams at https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/threats/support-scams

If you would like to take the time to report a scammer, you can do that at https://www.microsoft.com/reportascam and http://www.ic3.gov

If you have already paid for the services of one of these companies, you can get a refund by filing for a dispute with the issuing financial institution for your credit card or debit card. Call the customer service phone number on the back of the card and request that a dispute form be mailed to you.

If you invited one of these support scam providers onto your computer, you should consider scanning your computer for malware (which I can also do through a secure remote support session). I recommend installing and scanning with Malwarebytes AntiMalware which is available from https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/mb3/ Click the "Free Download" button if the download doesn't start automatically. Windows has a built-in anti-malware program called Windows Defender, you can access it by clicking on the menu in the bottom left corner of your screen and start typing Windows Defender, then click on the Windows Defender Security Center when the icon comes up.

Wes
Wes, Consultant

Please click on this link https://www.fastsupport.com/373275614

and follow the on-screen instructions to download the secure remote assistance client. Please answer "Yes" to any prompts asking you for permission. I will post a message here, and in the secure remote once we are connected.

You can share your phone number with me by clicking on "Edit Your Private Contact Info" link at the bottom of our chat. If you are having difficulties connection to the remote, make sure you come back here and let me know.

If you are having troubles connecting, or aren't sure what you need to do... please see these web pages:

If you are using a PC, please click on this guide: https://support.logmeininc.com/article/gta020002
If you are using a Mac, please click on this guide: https://support.logmeininc.com/article/gta020003

There are guides for downloading and opening the GoToAssist Opener file for all of the major web browsers. Find the one you use and follow the directions for that browser.

Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
I was searching a recipe when a warning stating from
I was searching a recipe when a warning stating from Microsoft your computer has been compromised and is locked they gave a phone # and I called and they said they were a Microsoft company hired to re… read more
Cris
Cris
I just got a message and my computer was blocked and I was
I just got a message and my computer was blocked and I was told I needed a firewall and this call was from Microsoft … read more
Rahul Ray
Rahul Ray
We have just been contacted by an Apple rep that says the
We have just been contacted by an Apple rep that says the cloud apple cloud account has been compromised. They referenced the Tiny Banker Trojan virus and said we needed to go to Safeway and buy a Goo… read more
David L
David L
Stop searching for answers—
Earlier today I received an ALERT from what looked like a
Earlier today I received an ALERT from what looked like a genuine Microsoft site. The screen said I had been infected by a Trojan horse. That my information had been hacked, by something called "clamp… read more
Cris
Cris
Just had a question. I got an alert yesterday and I called
Just had a question. I got an alert yesterday and I called the number on the screen. They said I had like a Trojan horse, I need to know if they are for real. The say they are from Microsoft and I had… read more
IT Consultant / Systems Engineer,
I just had a message pop up on my computer that said some
hi. I just had a message pop up on my computer that said some spyware was detected and that I should contact Microsoft at the number given or my computer would be disabled. I contacted the number and … read more
Isaac Franklin
Isaac Franklin
Associate of Science in Social Sciences
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
I received a popup on my computer saying that i have a
I received a popup on my computer saying that i have a trojan virus and to call this number***********that it was a microsoft support and the person on the other end took control of my computer and sa… read more
PC_Wizzard
PC_Wizzard
IT Technician,
I thought my computer was hacked. I got a message,
Hello. I thought my computer was hacked. I got a message, purportedly from Microsoft, saying I had a serious problem and I was given a number to call. When I called, I ended up talking to "Bryan" for … read more
Tech Ben
Tech Ben
Information Systems Manager,
I just last evening bought firewall protection from a
I just last evening bought firewall protection from a company supposedly on contract to Microsoft by the name "ABS World". Is this legit? … read more
It Support Specialist,
I received a warning on my computer yesterday for a Trojan
I received a warning on my computer yesterday for a Trojan Worm and my computer froze with a box up giving me the phone number for a Microsoft affiliated technician as follows: ***** Davis CA 95616TEL… read more
It Support Specialist,
I asked this question yesterday but was not available for
I asked this question yesterday but was not available for future conversations at that time. Broadway Network did have remote access to my computer but I have since refused to pay because it was a sca… read more
Hardware Engineer,
I got three phone calls saying my computer had a virus. They
I got three phone calls saying my computer had a virus. They would come right over my computer. The first call cost me $200. I called my son in law and he said it was a scam. The second, by telephone,… read more
Cody
Cody
Systems Engineer,
Stop searching for answers—
While on my computer this morning I received a message that
While on my computer this morning I received a message that my computer was infected with a Trojan and to call a Microsoft telephone number. I did that and the lady told me that my computer had a Troj… read more
Cody
Cody
Systems Engineer,
Two days ago, a screen flashed with a gh-volume message that
Two days ago, a screen flashed with a high-volume message that my personal computer had been compromised, that it was locked by a virus. I was working in Firefox at the time. I was immediately notifie… read more
IT/Web Manager,
A few years ago I got a warning message on my Apple Mini that
A few years ago I got a warning message on my Apple Mini that it was being attacked by a virus. I immediately called the phone number and was told to cut off my computer. Afterwards I talked to someon… read more
Computer Technican,
Just had a phone call telling me i have a trojan virus in my
Just had a phone call telling me i have a trojan virus in my computer they said they were working for microsoft and wanted me to log on to www.ammyy.com is this legit or a scam… read more
Computer Specialist,
I want to know if you have contractors which contact customers
I want to know if you have contractors which contact customers after a virus attack. I was contacted by REMOVE SUPPORT CENTER to fix a virus by MalWareDefense. Have I been duped?… read more
IT Consultant,
I have been contacted by the fbi and efcc in Nigeria
I have been contacted by the fbi and efcc in Nigeria saying they have captured a XXXXX XXXXX who scamed me for 6400.00 cnd then they said that they will refund me double the amount. They requested 700… read more
Toe
Toe
Administrator,