My laptop has frozen and won't accept my normal PIN. Also…

Hi. My laptop has...

Hi. My laptop has frozen and won't accept my normal PIN. Also before I tried to get back onto my computer the mouse froze!

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand/model and Operating System (OS) of your laptop?

Lenovo, windows

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your Lenovo? Have you installed any updates recently?

Hi. Tried to log out, keyboard frozen, then it told me that my log in pin was wrong and has locked me out

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

I don't think so, I'm a little bit of a a computer ignorant 70+ year old

Answered in 1 minute by:
6/28/2018
Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist

I'm sorry about the issue. What happens when you enter your PIN? Is there any error or message?

If you use other Sign-in options below, does it take your password? (instead of PIN).

Does your Lenovo computer have Windows 7 or 8 or 10?

Does it show a name or username at the password ***** login screen?
Does it show an email address at the password ***** login screen?
Please reply at the box below. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It won't let me enter my pin
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks
  1. Do you mean when you enter the PIN, it does not show the dot?
  2. Does it let you shut down / restart the computer?
  3. What happens when you click on some option under Sign-in options? Does it give the password *****?

I do live online support. Please answer my questions above. Please reply at the box below. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My logi name appears as normal @ outlook.com
  1. On your problematic computer's screen, is it showing the Password *****?
  2. Is it showing an email address above the password *****? If yes, what is it?
  3. Do you have another working Windows computer?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Only if I press the off button, but when you turn it on again it goes to the same page with the same outcome
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It just shows my name

When you enter your password, does it show dots?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No, I don't have another computer

Does it say incorrect password?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Yeah. It says incorrect password
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I entered it 3 times and it has now locked me out

Solution #1:

1. At the password ***** login screen, press and keep holding the Shift key on the keyboard.
  2. Click on the Power icon at the bottom right of the computer's screen, then click on the option Restart while still holding the Shift key.
  3. When a menu appears, then you can release the Shift key.
  4. When prompted, click on the Troubleshoot option.
  5. Then select the option Reset PC, and continue.
  6. When prompted, select the option "Removing everything", and "Just remove files.", and continue.

Solution #2:

1. At the password ***** login screen, click on the Ease of Access icon at the bottom; it looks like a timer icon.
  2. Click on the On-Screen Keyboard option.
  3. Click on the Shift key option at the left of the On-Screen Keyboard on the computer's screen.
  4. Click on the Power icon at the bottom right of the computer's screen, then click on the option Restart.
  5. When prompted, click on the Troubleshoot option.
  6. Then select the option Reset PC, and continue.
  7. When prompted, select the option "Removing everything", and "Just remove files.", and continue.

- Does that do anything? Please let me know. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay

Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My email address is***@******.***
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi. The problem is that I am using a computer at home set up by a computer savvy person who is currently in Las Vegas

OK. Please note that password ***** ***** Make sure the CAPS lock and NUM lock keys are turned off, and check. IF that does not work, please try my solution(s) above. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi. Which key is the Num lock?

It's usually above the num pad, if any, on right of your keyboard, thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi. Can't find a button with Num on it

Please ignore it; please try the solution below:

Solution #1:

Solution #2:

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My address set up by my friend is***@******.***

Please see the two solutions above. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have tried to re enter the computer, but no success
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don't have any mouse ability

DO NOT try to log in your computer again. Have you tried the solution below? Connect a USB mouse to your computer as needed.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi. I am looking for a mouse, but can't find one

Is this a laptop or desktop?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Laptop

Do you mean the mousepad / touchpad (below the keyboard) on your Lenovo laptop is not working?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Yeah

Does your Lenovo laptop has touchscreen?

Can you please check at the back / bottom of your Lenovo laptop for the model of it?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Lenovo 100S-141BR model name 80R9
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ideapad 100S

Press the key F6 on your computer's keyboard to see if it is able to enable / disable the touchpad, thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi. I have just sent you a message about the model details, and I had a dropout on my mobile

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi. Just f6 on it's own?

Yes, F6 key should be at the top of the keyboard, thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi. Pressed F6, it allowed me to try to enter a pin, then said it was incorrect, tried to reenter but it won't let me!

After pressing F6 key, does your mousepad / touchpad work now?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi. The mouse pad is now working. What should I do next. Do I go to the icon at the bottom to shut it down?

Great. Please follow the exact steps below:

Solution #1:

- Does that do anything? Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi. Just waiting for the computer to respond

OK, let me know what it shows next, thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi. It tells me additional space required on drive where windows is installed

Does it show any other option? Does it let you do anything next?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi. How do I free up space and try again?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It shows me a cancel spot!

Cancel it for now, then shut down your computer, then after the computer has shut down, wait about 10 seconds. I'm writing the next steps.

1. Shut down your computer.
  2. After the computer has shut down, wait at least 10 seconds.
  3. Press the curved arrow button (which is next to the Power on / off button.)
  4. Select option System Recovery, and continue.
  5. Let me know the options there. Thank you.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is that the F5 button?

No, the small button is right next to the Power on / off button. It should be above the F3 eky, thanks.

No, the small button is right next to the Power on / off button. It should be above the F3 key, thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi. I have just done that and I have now got into my account!. I will now try to use the computer normally! Richard
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have just been told that I don't have an Internet connection at present. I will check my modem. Richard

Great. Also, if needed, click on the small Windows logo icon at the bottom left of your computer's screen, then click on the gear / wheel icon (that's Setting);

; or press at the same time the two keys Windows logo and i on your computer's keyboard, then the Settings window should appear

, then click on option Accounts

, then click on option Sign-in options

, then there, change / update your PIN.

Thank you.

- Click on the small Wi-Fi / wireless signal icon at the bottom right of your laptop's screen, then select / connect to your Wi-Fi / wireless network name and check.

- If needed, click on the small Windows logo icon at the bottom left of your computer's screen, then click on the gear / wheel icon (that's Setting);

, then click on option Accounts

, then click on option Sign-in options

, then there, change / update your PIN.

Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi. I'm in my account, thanks very much for your help. Richard

You're very welcome. Great. Thank you for your patience.