Cabletech
Cabletech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  12 years ISP Technical Support
20401521

My web browser will not open websites. My system is Windows

My web browser will not open websites. My system is Windows 7. I’ve spent hours researching online and trying various solutions- nothing works.
JA: What device or product does this involve?
Customer: It’s my laptop. I’m writing to you on my iPad.
JA: What's the brand/model of your laptop?
Customer: The internet connection is good.
JA: What have you tried so far with your laptop? Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: Toshiba
JA: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I tried a System restore last night and one of the updates was on May 18, also May 15. Everything worked before that. System resore wouldn’t work because of virus protection. I use Bitdefender.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert working with you today to help and resolve the problem you have posted.

You are at www.justanswer.com services.
I am sorry to hear that you are having such trouble. I will try my best to help you out.

which browser are you using?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I was using Google Chrome when problems started. One of the online forums suggested deleting it, which I did and went back to IE. That’s the only browser currently on my laptop.

on the computer, click start and in the windows search box type run and open it

in the run window type cmd and click ok

let me know once the black command window is open

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Can you guarantee for an extra $39 this will fix it? I’ve already agreed to $47 to talk to you....not sure about this.

our service is guaranteed. you may choose to ignore as its an optional service and the popup is generated automatically by the website and not me

i will continue to assist you on chat

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I would like to try the cHat window assist first

sure

on the computer, click start and in the windows search box type run and open itin the run window type cmd and click oklet me know once the black command window is open
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have the black box open after typing run
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Black command window is open

type the below command

ping www.google.com

press enter

let em know what does it show as packets sent and received or it shows timed out

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Sent 4 packets, received 4 packets, 0 lost

are you chatting with me from the same computer?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No, my cHat is on my ipad

press ctrl alt and del keys together on keyboard and then click on task manager option

once the task manager window opens, click on file menu and click run new task

in the window type www.google.com and press enter

let me know what happens

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It attempted to open the webpage, but I got “This page cannot be displayed.” Before this, I have been able to open IE, type google.com and it has opened - but that’s the only thing that does open (except not this time).

click on the 3 dots or 3 lines on top right of internet explorer window

then click on options

let me know once options window is open

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Don’t have 3 lines or dots. Do you mean the gear? There is an internet options line.

yes click on the gear and then internet options

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Done

click on the advanced tab

in the list of options you need to find the settings that says enable 3rd part browser extensions

uncheck that option, then apply and ok

then restart computer

let me know once computer has rebooted

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It’s rebooted

try opening a website now

did it open?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It still says “This page cannot be displayed.” Tried 2 different websites

did you try google

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Just did... google page will open. But if I type in a page to search, nothing happens

can you open this link

https://www.google.com/chrome

does it open the chrome download page

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

click on download chrome to download and install chrome

let me know once complete

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It’s complete. Just tried to open my yahoo mail and it says this site can’t be reached.

can you open chrome and try opening a website

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I’ve tried my email, also another site. It just spins and says this site can’t be reached.

did you try it in chrome or explorer

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Chrome

how is it connected to internet...ethernet cable or wifi

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Wifi

can you turn off router and unplug the power cable of router

after 2 mins, plug in power cable and turn on router

we will be disconnected during this while

once we are connected back, let me know and i will give you further steps

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok, I’ll do it. However, I’ve tried this several times over the past couple of days and I don’t believe it’s the internet. I’ll let you know when I’m back.

ok

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok, I’m back
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
On Chrome, the google page will still open but other websites will not open.

do you have an ethernet cable or lan cable

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Not sure. I’ll check.

ok. if you could connect the laptop to router with ethernet cable and then check if websites open or not, that would indeed give a better idea about the problem

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I don’t believe we still have one.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Our other devices have no problem connecting to internet, and my computer displays a connection.

i am out of ideas and will opt out and open this question so that my fellow experts may review and assist you further on this

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok. How much longer do you think before a response?

Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting you with this problem. Can you go back to the Comman window.

Instead of ping enter this command and capture the output.

ipconfig /all

Here is a link to a youtube video I made that shows the process of capturing the output of the command prompt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6d5Zry7H004&t=4s

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi, Patrick, I’m back. I just followed your directions and copied onto One Note.

okay can you copy and paste the instructions into this window

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I’m communicating with you on my iPad since I can’t get onto websites on my computer, so I’m not sure how to get it into this window.

oh, I didn't think about that. what I am looking for is the DNS server information. of your interface that is connected to your internet (either Ethernet or wireless)

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Photo attached - I think!

ok try the command

nslookup yahoo.com

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Where? In the black command box?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
That’s where I put it
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Here’s a picture
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have to leave in about a half hour. I’d love to finish this, if at all possible!
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Before I have to go.

I am sorry but I cannot think of any reason why your browser won't connect to the internet. I am going to opt out as well

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I want my $47 refunded!!!!!!!

I'm interested in your issue. I know you've gone through 2 techs already and I'm really sorry that you've had the experience you've had so far. I'd be more than happy to cancel your ticket but I know you're still having issues right now. Would you be willing to work with one more expert before throwing in the towel?

I'm interested because your desktop is receiving internet. You are online. Your Internet explorer is not working correctly. The problem to isolate would have been that.

The test ran already determined you have internet which is good. That's made this part easier if you would like to work with me.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok, but I have to leave in about 45 minutes. I need to stay with it and get it done - my day has been shot!

Okay, I'll start typing out some steps instead of waiting for replies.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I just rebooted after the previous session

First thing to try is to reset Internet Explorer. I don't think I saw this in the previous notes so I thought I would go ahead and suggest it. It will reset Internet Explorer to the default homepage/settings/everything.

1. Open Control Panel
  2. Open Internet Options
  3. Go to the Advanced Tab
  4. Click on the Reset Button
  5. Confirm by clicking OK
  6. After the reset, try to get online.

If that did not work, next steps:

Open Internet Explorer, select the Tools  button (or the Help button if you’re using Internet Explorer 8) and then choose About Internet Explorer.

I need to know what Version of IE you are using.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I actually tried this this morning before I connected to your forum. Didn’t work then and I still have his page cannot be displayed.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have IE 11.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The tech this morning also had me reload google Chrome. I get the same message on both browsers.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Windows 7 operating system

Windows 7 32 or 64 bit?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
How do I know 32 or 64?

Control Panel > System > It will be on that first page

Next to System Type

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
64 bit

Here is the Service Pack 1 for 64 bit. Let's reinstall this and see if we can correct IE http://download.microsoft.com/download/7/1/7/7179A150-F2D2-4502-9D70-4B59EA148EAA/IE11-Windows6.1-x64-en-us.exe

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I’ll try, but since I don’t get websites......

Do you have another computer to download to USB or disc?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No

Did you install Windows using a CD?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Not sure because I thought it was installed when I bought the computer.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I typed the long address for service pack and got the site can’t be reached

Okay, I found the set of instructions that should be quicker. Since we don't have the internet and you only have access to a tablet, let's try these commands in the CMD prompt. Let me know if you have tried this already because no point of doing them again.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Computer is about 5 years old
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I’ve done quite a few things through the cmd prompt...let’s see what you got

1. Press Windows Key + R

2. Perform the following steps:

• Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults:

netsh winsock reset catalog

• Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults:

netsh int ip reset reset.log

• Reset Firewall to installation defaults:

netsh advfirewall reset

• Flush DNS resolver cache:

ipconfig /flushdns

• Renew DNS client registration and refresh DHCP leases:

ipconfig /registerdns

• Flush routing table (reboot required):

route /f

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Some of those look familiar

Let's go ahead and do them all since only some of them look familiar. Then once you get to the end, a reboot will be required and we can let the reboot take place.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Should I be in that black command screen? Because I’m not....

Yeah. That should have brought it up on Step 1. Hold down the windows key and press the letter R.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I typed in cmd and got the black screen. Ok?

Now type the bold from earlier. Each line will be done after each step is done.

netsh winsock reset catalog

netsh int ip reset reset.log

netsh advfirewall reset

ipconfig /flushdns

route /f

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
First one says need to run as administrator

Okay. Press Start Menu and in the white box, type CMD. Then right click on it and run as administrator.

Then do all the steps from earlier.

netsh winsock reset catalog

netsh int ip reset reset.log

netsh advfirewall reset

ipconfig /flushdns

route /f

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok, rebooting now

Ok good.

Still coming back up?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Just tried to oen 3 websites on Chrome....same message

Same on IE too?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Same thing

Can you disable all your security software temporarily? Bitdefender and any others you might have installed? We might need to uninstall them as a test as well. Another possibility of being able to ping out but no internet is your security settings are just too high on something.

I haven't suggested touching your router because your tablet is working. And if it was a DNS server issue, then it should affect all.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I looked at Bitdeender last night because I tried to do a system restore and couldn’t find a way to turn it off. Would I have to uninstall it?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
We unplugged the router for 2 minutes this morning

Yeah, I read that but it doesn't seem to make sense since you are online otherwise. Before we remove software, one other thought. Have you rebooted in safe mode already?

1. Immediately after the computer is powered on or restarted (usually after you hear your computer beep), tap the F8 key in 1 second intervals.
  2. After your computer displays hardware information and runs a memory test, the Advanced Boot Options menu will appear.
  3. Use the arrow keys to select Safe Mode or Safe Mode with Networking and press ENTER.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Have not tried safe mode

Let's try that. Make sure to select the one with NETWORKING.

I should have modified my steps to only say Networking. But this will tell us if there's some 3rd party program that is causing the issue.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok, here goes

Ok!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It’s loadi ng

Okay, and it booted up in safe mode with the strange looking screen?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I’m in
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

Are you online in safe mode?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Picture

And if you try to open up Chrome, same error about the connection?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Nope, won’t open a site
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Wait, a YouTube site opened

More sites loading?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No. Checking IE now
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Same thing in IE. Webmail won’t open, other sites that I use regularly won’t open, but you tube does????

You can click on videos and they download and play?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It completely loaded in Chrome with no sound, I assume because of safe mode. In IE, it said playback is not support but it loaded.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
When I tried the system restore last night, I noticed one of the dates for an update was at about the time I started having trouble.

Okay, so I knew your internet was working based on the earlier tests but this should show you that it's working for you in a sense. You're downloading videos that you didn't watch prior but there is some settings on your computer blocking the internet. The only thing I hate about system restores is that sometimes they can do more damage than good when it comes to antivirus software and what not. We've reset everything to default settings for your internet settings but that didn't seem to resolve it. I'm thinking the next steps might be to completely remove all virus/firewall and anything extra that is installed to see if that helps get past the block on the internet.

Typically, after removing these programs, since none of other steps worked, I have a feeling that the only option we're going to be able to do is reinstall your operating system. Do you have a separate partition with the operating system installed on it? You can verify that by going to the Computer > and looking at the drives. Usually it's drive D:/ if you have no other partitions.

We must be getting close to that 45 minute mark. Are you still able to troubleshoot or did you want to resume later? Or do you still have time?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Yea I need to leave And will be gone a few hours as I have to run a rehearsal. I wouldn’t be able to resume until around 9:00 Central time, tonight. Or tomorrow. And I’m not certain about the partitions you were talking about in the system.

I can resume tomorrow. We can try a few more fixes tomorrow and then go from there to see what else we can do to resolve this. Just reply on here tomorrow and I'll start working with you on this some more to see what else could be causing the issue. We can start picking out software to see if they're causing the issue.

Before you head out, do you mind helping me stay assigned to your question? It's a strange request but there should be an option to rate the service you've received today. There should be some stars to click on and hopefully I've earned 5 stars so far. By doing so since there's been so many experts on this question, it will help me stay locked to your question while we troubleshoot this.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Sure, I’ll be happy to do that. What time ar3 you available tomorrow?

9-5 Central.

If you don't see the stars to click on, it might be easier to switch to Desktop View. My view is a bit different than your view.

Cabletech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: 12 years ISP Technical Support
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Cabletech, are you available to continue helping me with my internet?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
You mentioned D: drive on my computer, but that is the disc drive. I don’t know about partitions. I did locate a Windows 7 repair disc, 64 bit, in my computer box. I must have burned a copy when I first bought my computer, dated July 2012.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
My computer is still in safe mode from our session yesterday.

I am away for another hour but I can work with you in 1 hour if you are available. I'll be by my computer. Use the repair disc. Reboot the computer and run from the disc to do a "repair" but we can work more on it once i am available.

I am back. Just wanted to see if you have tried anything yet.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The disc is ready to go, but couldn’t find a run from the disc repair option. Websites are still doing the same thing. And I noticed on a couple of programs - quicken and iTunes, that they aren’t running correctly and had to go into task manager to close them down.

You should be able to reboot your PC with the disc in the drive. It should prompt you about doing a repair or reinstall.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok

If it doesn't, then we have to adjust some settings in your BIOS, but let's try that first.

The one we're going to do is the System Repair option.

*Startup repair

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Nothing came up automatically

Okay, since it didn't come up, reboot again and try hitting F12 repeatedly until you get a boot menu to pull up.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Got it

Do you have the boot up from CD ROM?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Here’s what I got
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Which option should I choose?

My reply didn't go thru! Click on enter setup.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
New pic

Click on boot Menu and put CD ROM at the top

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Must be Optiarc DVD RW AD-7710H?

Yeah!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I can hilight it, but nothing happens when I hit Enter

Once you push down and it looks highlighted, press the + button to move it up.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok, done but still no reaction from the top.

Did it move it to the top?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
but still no reaction after pushing Enter

Press F10 to save it now and it should reboot

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It is
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Loading files
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Choices are Toshiba Recovery wizard or System Recovery options
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It’s recommending Toshiba

Let's do the Toshiba option. I just looked up the next option after and go ahead with the recommended Recover with Out of Box Date

Out of Box State*

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I keep getting this box and it opens up the CD DRIVE to pop out cd. When I reinsert, the same thing happens

Well, if it doesn't like the backup you have, I know you can buy the recovery disc from Toshiba. https://support.toshiba.com/recovery#media

I will put that out there for now to let you know. It's looking for something specific in the CD that would tell it is from a Toshiba backup. Not sure if you did get this from your own system it isn't reading it but for some reason it's not working now. We can always do cancel and try going around the Toshiba method and choose System Recovery Options.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I hit cancel so it completely shutdown and I’m starting over to get to the other option

Perfect.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Here comes system recovery

And have you made it past Startup Repair?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Just got the startup repair choice. I assume I should click restart with that option?

yeah

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Restarting
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I’m in the normal sign in window

Did it do anything when you selected Startup Repair?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Yea, I’m in my normal screen. Should I have told it to reboot again from the DVD drive?

Oh if it did the startup repair and then took you to the boot screen, then you can try to see if you're able to get online.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I was able to get my email online, and another site in chrome. Checking IE now. Yea!!!!!

It was just some critical file that needed to be reinstalled for your networking drivers. Let me know if IE is working for you too

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
IE seems a bit more sluggish. My webmail still didn’t load but some other site did, and you tube did too. Would this “something” also have affected other programs like quicken and iTunes? Gonna check them now.

The system restore basically reverts to an older version of your system. The reason why it's a dangerous tool is because if you go back before an update that affected a lot of drivers and system files, it makes it hard to run the software correctly. And the only way to fix a lot of those programs is to reinstall or ultimately, reinstall Windows again. What you might have to do is obtain that disc from Toshiba or purchase a Windows 7 disc OEM version online from say Newegg or Amazon. Then you can reinstall Windows and get rid of the Toshiba software. I personally like running a cleaning version of Windows in my system. I have a Dell computer but I bought Windows 7 to override the one they gave me.

Since Chrome is working, we can try the earlier update if you can access the webpage to see if it helps repair IE. One sec.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/7/1/7/7179A150-F2D2-4502-9D70-4B59EA148EAA/IE11-Windows6.1-x64-en-us.exe

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
That download page is not coming up for me. However, Quicken and ITunes seemed to be responding the way they should.

Try that one

Scroll down to English 64 bit and click that link. It should start downloading.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It says setup can’t continue because I have a more recent version of IE.

Well, I had hoped that would work to make IE work a little better.

Since we replaced some files, we can try to reset IE again to see if it responds differently after the reset.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I prefer Chrome anyway, I was just glad I had a backup when all this started happening. Do you think that Windows 7 is becoming obsolete? My computer is 6 years old, how much more of this stuff will it realistically be able to keep up,with before security and other issues become a problem?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
let’s try reset

To answer your first question, you have less than 2 years of Windows 7. I, myself, am sad because I prefer Windows 7. To verify this so you can know how to find it in the future, you can look up <Name of Operating system + End of Life> into a search. The official Microsoft Page is here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet

Extended support translates to those annoying updates that fix issues. Once 2020 happens, they will no longer update against security threats.

Did the IE reset work?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I think so. I used that INternet options tab > advanced >reset. Was that right? I think it did it? Now when Windows does updates, am I gonna continue to have problems like this?

You shouldn't. Typically issues I see happen when internet connectivity is lost, power is lost, or some background program was trying to run at the same time the update was happening. But if it happens again, my next suggestion would be to look at what is running in the background. I know when PCs are older like ours, sometimes there are so many different programs that get installed over time and cached into the system that needed to be cleared out. That's why I've been a big promoter of reinstalling the operating system because it allows me to clean house. I do have some tools in my toolbox that I have found to be exceptional even for my Mother-in-Law's computer. I'm only suggesting the software as I'm not affiliated with them at all.

I use Driver Booster, Advanced System Care, Smart Defrag, and Malware Fighter from IObit. If you buy the pro versions, they do everything on their own. The Smart Defrag is nice because it will keep your system running quickly without you having to remember to defrag it. The Advanced System Care Pro when ran clears out a bunch of junk files. The Driver Booster keeps your drivers up to date. Malware Fighter is well just that.

You can go check it out. It's just what I use on my end and any families PCs. If you're interested in someone setting it up for you, I'd be more than happy to run the scans using the free versions and helping clear out your system if you prefer. The Secure Connect might work since you're getting internet again. However, that part does cost extra.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I think I’ll wait on that. I’m sick of being on this computer for the last 2 days! �� Although, you have been very knowledgeable and helpful and for that, I thank you! Does this conversation get saved somewhere if I ever wanted/ needed to refer back to the directions given?

This site will stay active and all the notes will stay available to come back to. http://www.justanswer.com/computer/bagmh-web-browser-will-not-open-websites-system-windows.html You can bookmark this page to come back to it. I do apologize it took so long for someone to actually go through the steps with you to get it to work again. But check out that software and if you're good at setting it up, it will really clean up your system and help update drivers you didn't know needed to be updated. if you decide you want to reach out to me again, you can click on my name and view my profile. There is an "ask a question" box that will send me a direct message.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I’ll check out that software. I usually do ok with that stuff - it’s just these more in depth quirks and repairs that I struggle with. Thank you again!

No problem!!