It suddenly came up with a message that the computer has…

Customer Question
It suddenly came up...

It suddenly came up with a message that the computer has been locked down and I P addressed has been used without. My knowledge. I presume there is a scam somewhere but concerned if I have a virus

Technician's Assistant: What device or product does this involve?

My Leveno computer

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your computer? And the Operating System (OS)?

Sorry I do not know a Lenovo about 4 years old

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your computer? What have you tried so far?

Just happened. I have done nothing

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

Not that I know of

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Computer
5/29/2018
Tech Support Specialist: ChrisC, Computer Enthusiast replied 2 months ago
ChrisC
ChrisC, Computer Enthusiast

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to help you with this!

Does the message have a phone number it wants you to call?

If so, these pop-up messages are NOT legitimate. This is a scam that is going around right now where you will encounter a message saying that there's a problem with your IP address or you have a virus or something along those lines and that you need to call a number to have the problem fixed. The whole thing just a ploy to get money from you.

The way it works is that small tech companies will pay third-party advertisers to insert their phone numbers into these pop up messages. So what you're actually seeing is a carefully crafted advertisement. If you called the number you'd talk to someone (probably with a foreign accent) who will ask to connect to your computer and then will try to sell you on some kind of support services you don't actually need.

Sometimes these companies will claim to be Microsoft or Apple or some other well known company. This is always a lie. Those companies do not contact customers directly to offer technical support.

If you receive these messages in the future, simply close them out.

You should be able to close the messages out by following these steps:

1. Hold Ctrl+Alt+Delete on your keyboard and then select Task Manager from the menu that comes up.

2. In the list of running programs, find the name of your browser (Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, whatever you use), click on it to highlight it, and then click the End Task button in the bottom right corner.

That should close the message out 99% of the time.

If it won't let you close it out, then you can just hold down the power button on your computer for 5 to 10 seconds to do a hard shutdown. Once you restart your computer the message should be gone.

If you have any other questions on this, just let me know and I'll be happy to answer them for you.

NOTE: If you have no further questions, please use the rating box at the top of the page to rate the answer at least 3 STARS or better so that I receive credit for assisting you. Just click to rate and then click the Submit button.