I was given a product key for my computor and it comes up as…

Customer Question
I was given a...

I was given a product key for my computor and it comes up as being wrong. I am sure I got it from Mircrosoft

Technician's Assistant: What's the brand and model of your computer? And the Operating System (OS)?

HP what is Operating system

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on with your computer? What have you tried so far?

I have a security I guess and they told me the product key given to me by Microsoft a while back. When I gave it to the security they told me it was wrong. My computor is not new. I have had it a couple of years. Last year I went to Office Depot and they redid the entire inside. Would that make a difference ?

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

That is all I can tell you other then the Key number they gave me.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Computer
5/28/2018
Tech Support Specialist: William Harder, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 2 months ago
William Harder
William Harder, Computer Hardware Engineer

Hello.

The computer can be activated in 3 basic ways:
1. Sticker with the code on the bottom on the computer(can also hide behind the battery). This is done with Windows 8,7, and earlier. Simply take a picture of this code with your phone and put it into the activation portion of Windows.

2. The computer is auto activated through the hardware itself. If this is the case, simply click on the active now and it should work.

3. Someone purchased an upgrade license(may have been you). If this is the case, you need the license key. If this was not you who purchased it, you will need to either get the key from the previous owner or get the key from your live account.

Additional info:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12440/windows-10-activation

Please let me know the result and if you need further assistance. This should resolve your request. Also, please provide a

positive rating (3, 4, or 5 star) as that is how I receive credit for my work. A tip is always appreciated.

Thanks,
Will

MCSE - Server Infrastructure

MCSE - Cloud Platform and Infrastructure

MCSA - Server 2012