I backed up all files on cd and hard drive died put in new…

Customer Question
I backed up all...

I backed up all files on cd and hard drive died put in new hard drive and downloaded windows 10 copied all backup files to c drive but they are in wim format. how do i get them back to my programs, documents, photos etc

Technician's Assistant: Does the hard drive icon appear on your desktop?

Not sure, i am not there now

Technician's Assistant: Have you tried accessing the drive on a different computer?

No

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?

I can open win 10

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Computer
its been almost an hour
5/27/2018
Tech Support Specialist: Russell H., Computer Systems Expert replied 2 months ago
Russell H., Computer Systems Expert

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your computer question.

The WIM files are Windows Image Format - not for a photo, but for an 'image' of a disk or a portion of it.

So you have to decompress them, to get actual useful usable computer files out of them.

Decompression of WIM files should really be done with the same program that compressed them, for best most reliable results. But what program was the backup to those WIM files done with?

If you don't know, if you also cannot tell nor inquire to find out, then some programs (not free, not necessarily) such as PowerISO, can decompress and extract the contained files from those WIM files.

https://www.poweriso.com/tutorials/open-wim-file.htm

or you can go with a free WIM opening utility, such as this one:

http://www.e7z.org/ (E7Z that is.)

(...and there's more about that one here: http://www.e7z.org/open-wim.htm - but on this page, beware of the big banners saying 'START THE Download', which are for irrelevant junk software that you don't need at all. Just in case you weren't sure where to do the downloading of the WIM file extractor, it isn't there.)

- If this answers your question, please rate my answer using the five-star interface at the top of the JustAnswer question page .... A five-star rating would be appreciated! Thank you.

If you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond.