I have an old hard drive that crashed many years and I

I have an old...

I have an old hard drive that crashed many years and I recently discovered it and would like to try to retrieve photos from it. What steps should I take before considering sending it to one of the expensive file recovery services? The hard drive was from an old Toshiba laptop if that matters.

Technician's Assistant: What Toshiba model do you have? And the Operating System (OS)?

I don't remember the model. It was running windows.

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your Toshiba?

Nothing. I removed the hard drive after it crashed and couldn't get it working again.

5/14/2018
Cris
Cris, Support Specialist

Hi, thanks for using JustAnswer.com I am Cris and will be glad to assist you. Please give me a moment to review your question and provide a solution.

Remote support is not required for your question. The site sends auto request which you can ignore.

Yes, there is a solution which you can try on your own and it is very inexpensive. Many times the hard drive crashes but that only means that there is an issue with Windows boot files. So the hard drive cannot boot into Windows.

However, the file structure is totally intact. Using SATA to USB adapter you can remove the hard drive from the laptop which is pretty easy to do. Then you plug the adapter to the drive and into a PC's USB slot. That will access the drive as a secondary drive and pull of the folders. You can then navigate through the folders and copy the files you want off of the drive.

Here is a link for the adapter which is very cheap from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-USB3S2SAT3CB-Drive-Adapter-Cable/dp/B00HJZJI84/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1526262520&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=sata+to+usb+3.0+adapter&psc=1

Let me know if you have any further questions I will be glad to answer them. Please take a moment to rate my service and submit at the top. Thanks, Cris.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Great! I will give that a try and thanks for the link. One thing to clarify. I now use a mac, will I be able to plug the Toshiba hard drive into the mac to retrieve files or do I need to find a PC?

You can try your Mac you should be able to read the drive and copy off of it. However, Windows and Mac use two different file systems so I cannot promise it will read for sure off your Mac. Windows will work for sure.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Cris
Cris, Support Specialist