I have a file with tons of imported images, and a folder…

I have a file...

I have a file with tons of imported images, and a folder with the originals. I want to use the originals, but I can't find any way to find the original filenames in the Word document. Can this be done somehow? I'm using Word 2008 for Mac, v. 12.3.6.

Technician's Assistant: When did you last update Word?

I can't remember. 2008, I guess.

Technician's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your Word?

I double-click on the image and look at the menu, but it doesn't give me that information. When I copy a file and paste it into Photoshop, the info isn't there, either.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Software Expert to know before I connect you?

I guess not.

5/7/2018
Ricky Expert
Ricky Expert, Computer Hardware Engineer

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you today. To make sure I don’t miss anything, please give me a minute to review your question.

Are you trying to figure out what the original files were previously named?

Unfortunately, when a file is renamed there is no way to go back and view the previous filename.

Maybe I wasn't clear. I didn't rename anything. When I import an image, it must have a name. I assumed Word would use the name of the file on the disk, and that name would be available. Or if Word renames it, the new name should be visible somewhere.

Sorry, I misunderstood. When Word imports an image it does not import it with a name, it simply imports the image itself. No name is visible.

Word doesn't import files by reference, it just copies them. OK, is there any way to export all the images as a group?
Word doesn't import files by reference, it just copies them. OK, is there any way to export all the images as a group? I can do that from a PDF.

Correct, it copies them into the document. Do you mean to export them from the Word document?

I want to use them in another document. It's very time consuming to copy them from Word and paste into Photoshop.

You can save the Word doc as a web page, which will create a folder of the images that are embedded in it. To do so, do the following:

1. On the File menu click Save as Web Page
2. In the Save As drop down select Web Page (*.htm; *.html)

Ricky Expert
Hey, Ricky. Your information was correct and worth the five bucks, but it wasn't the whole story. If I export as a web page, Word kicks the photos down to 72 dpi. HOWEVER, if I export it as a PDF, the resolution remains intact. Then I can export the images in a batch using Acrobat Pro.

Oh, okay. With exporting for the web it must be downsizing so they are able to be rendered quickly online. Unfortunately that is the only way to export the images in Word.