Shefin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Working as tech support specialist with a worldwide computer manufacturer.
15907069

A messafe is popping up on one of my PCs, a new HP, saying

A messafe is popping up on one of my PCs, a new HP, saying my computer is in danger and to call or they will lock up my computer. I states error 26683. What do I do?
JA: What device or product does this involve?
Customer: HP PC just purchased a month ago.
JA: What HP model do you have? And the Operating System (OS)?
Customer: OS is Windows 10. Model number is *****
JA: How long has this been going on with your computer? What have you tried so far?
Customer: This morning about an hour ago. I powered it off then let it sit for 5 minutes. As soon as I signed on and started Edge the message came back.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** welcome to JustAnswer. I'll be the one to assist you with your question.

An increasing number of computer users are receiving similar phone calls and some — afraid of potential data loss and device damage — are surrendering their bank account information in the hope this will protect their tech.

If you get such a call, we’re here to tell you — hang up. It is a SCAM!!!

Microsoft does not do that nor do they have partners who do that nor do they hire sub-contractors or people or even get volunteers to do that. Do not trust unsolicited calls. Do not provide any personal information.

Cybercriminals pretending to work for Microsoft, Geek Squad, or any other nationally-recognized tech company call their intended victims, claim they’ve scanned their computers remotely and found viruses on them. Relying on computer users’ fear of viruses, data loss and identity theft, they trick people into giving them actual access to the computer.

Once the scammer has access to the victim’s system, they will often show the user scary looking error messages on the machine, require immediate payment to cleanup the “dangerously infected” computer and install more “protection” software onto the system. Chances are they’ll take the opportunity to install other bits of malware to capture the victim’s online shopping or banking information.

Check the link below for more information on how to report it.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/threats/support-scams

How to remove it : https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-please-call-support-for-windows-tech-support-scam

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Thank you!

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
This link directed me to a page "bleepingcomputer" telling me more than a 20 step fix which included downloading 4 different programs such as RKill, Zamana, HitMan and one other. Is that wise?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I think I can do it myself. What I want to know is should I download and run all those programs?

First, do the task manager step.

Then, scan with Malwarebytes.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks