Ricky Expert
Ricky Expert, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  4+ Years in Tech Support
98270431

ThinkCentre M710s problems after trying to install windows

ThinkCentre M710s problems after trying to install windows app.
JA: Which software or app can I help with?
Customer: Windows app HP (something) Now computer will not open programs clicking on tiles or any program results in it showing up on taskbar. Mouse over displays a 2"x2" window sowing the program but cannot get it to enlarge. I think the internet connection is missing. Have replaced the Ethernet cord and placed in a working slot on the modem with no change.
JA: Anything else you want the Software Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you today. To make sure I don’t miss anything, please give me a minute to review your question.

Will any application on the computer open at all?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
machine is under warranty SN#MJ06RFFA
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Contact is with an older machine as cannot connect with my new Len

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Lenovo ThinkCentre is turned on

Okay, will any application open on it at all?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No

Okay, when you say it started after installing Windows "app", what do you mean? Did you upgrade the version of Windows before this started?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Tiles will open but and sidebar but clicking on anything results in an icon showing in taskbar and can't open .
Auto updates so am unsure. Now the screen has locked out on black screen. Should I shutdown and restart
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
This was from the windows app store.

Did the updates get interrupted while they were installing?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Okay that is the issue. When updates are interrupted your computer's operating system becomes corrupted. You will need to reformat the computer an reinstall Windows from scratch. Do you have the recovery CD your computer came with?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
did not receive a recovery CD. I did make a backup but I thought it was saved to the special area on the computer for recovery.

Some computers do have a recovery portion of the hard disk. You can try to restore from this. Do you know how to do so?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No
Tried settings to get to recovery. Only get icon on task bar which won't open program

You will need to launch the recovery from the boot menu when you start the computer. Here are instructions on how to do so: http://smallbusiness.chron.com/restore-lenovo-thinkcentre-72606.html

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Connected to System Repair. Now scanning and repairing. Takes time

Okay, let me know how it goes.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Scan complete. Message: successfully scanned the drive. No errors were found

Try to turn the computer on and see if it is working.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Not working. Same problem.

Okay, you are going to need to reformat the computer and install a fresh copy of Windows.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Can you do this by remote?

No, it needs to be done before the computer fully starts up so I cannot do it. You will need to follow the instructions on this page to do it: http://smallbusiness.chron.com/restore-lenovo-thinkcentre-72606.html

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Will I be refunded the charge for Secure Remote Assistance?

Yes, you will not be charged for the remote assistance.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Reinstalling windows. Waiting to see if this corrects problem. This is a new machine still under warranty. Not pleased with Lenovo right now.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Keyboard not working
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
OK Guess we're done/ Keyboard still not working.

Okay, you will probably need to install your keyboard drivers. What kind of keyboard do you have?